Sewing Your Own Chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter will be entering a fair rocket next year and thinks she'd like to try making her own parachute. (Nothing against those very functional plastic ones that come with the kits but after spending a bunch of time choosing and apllying "pretty" paints, her rockets would be more fashionable ;) with more suitable accessories :cool:)

I've been playing around with a couple of scarves, trying to figure out something workable with a minimal of sewing. They come in so many sizes and colors and patterns plus have the advantage of having pre-sewn hems this would be ideal for smaller rockets...if it worked.

What I landed on (and havent tried) was tying very small knots into the 4 corners and then tying four more at the midpoints between the corners. The knots change it from a square to a circular shape plus would provide a reinforced spot to attach shroud lines.

When hung from the midpoint it drapes really well. We'll give it a try (if I can talk my son out of a somewhat expendable rocket ;)) when we get back in a few days. I don't think Michigan state parks would be too keen on us testing it in their campgrounds...:eek: I don't know if it would work but it sure would be easy and give tons of color and pattern options...which ISN'T the case for ripstop where we live.

Not that I am doubting your parachute design but what is the weight of her rocket? What colors did she use, I will try and match her rocket as best as possible.

Back