HP Chute shroud line material source

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dipstick

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've been sewing my own chutes for a while, but need to find a better shroud line material.

My design is pretty similar to the Rocketman style with four shroud lines, and I would like something that has a flat strap shape like tubular nylon.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for something here, maybe in a spectra style? The tubular nylon I have available is way too big.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW if you want to make more conventional 8 gore chutes, 150 lbs. Dacron line works very well for shrouds on chutes up to 60 - 72 inches. It is like the cords on the 1" blinds you buy a Walmart. About 2.5mm diameter. You can find spools for sale at most Kite websites.

I bought a 3,000 ft. spool for about $15 10 years ago and still have a lot left. I've made a lot of chutes from 12" to a 72", 12 gore, beach umbrella chute. I only had one 34" chute shread because of a deployment at motor burnout (+300 mph). The nylon shredded, but all the shroud lines held up fine.

Hi folks, I've been sewing my own chutes for a while, but need to find a better shroud line material.

My design is pretty similar to the Rocketman style with four shroud lines, and I would like something that has a flat strap shape like tubular nylon.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for something here, maybe in a spectra style? The tubular nylon I have available is way too big.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Give Top Flight Recovery a call they might sell you a roll. One roll will last you a long time.

Thanks for the offers and links, I'll do some sorting here and see what I think will work.

Latest posts

Back