Semroc Saturn 1B Abbreviated Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwady

Build twice, Launch once
Reaction score
-8 here right now so I guess I will not be painting...

Time to build and this kit has been in my pile for a while.

This is posted in mid-power because I won't fly it on anything less than an AT RMS E-18. No "heart attack", low altitude ejections for me.

I love Semroc kits, high quality and very rewarding. I have come to realize that I like building these kits in modules and mostly out of sequence.

I always spend time in reviewing, measuring, reviewing, measuring and then creating sub-assemblies that I can check fit and sometimes, add mods.

This Saturn will have the following mods:

• 24mm Estes retainer
  • 1 piece Center stuffing tube
  • Kevlar/Elastic shock cord
  • 24mm baffle

I am assuming that the 2 piece stuffing tube was included in the kit as to facilitate packaging in a smaller box.

I just happened have the exact tube in a 1 piece, 18" length so I used it.

I also have one more surprise mod to be revealed later.

Here are some pix of the modules so far:

Cheers!!

Last edited:
WOW, nice clean work..looking good.
I do not own one of these.

THX all!!

We'll see if it is display worthy when I'm finished. This is going to be a bear to paint.

I may not final assemble until I do some painting, it may be easier that way.

I also may employ some liquid masking film for this one. I works well in those tight complex areas.

I still am "cyphering" on this so I don't put something together that I wish I had waited for, after the fact.

I would HIGHLY recommend picking up one of these kits. A very challenging but rewarding Semroc build.

They may becoming scarce as to the health issues that Sheryl and Bruce are experiencing. Not to mention the loss of Carl.

My prayers are with the entire Semroc family...

THX All!!

More progress although, building the escape tower is making me a candidate for a rubber room at the "Happy Hilton...:facepalm:

again, doing this in modules to facilitate sanding, filling, and painting.

Built up fins are next.

Cheers!!

And the fin saga begins...

I find building these up to be fun and rewarding, kinda like the old Guillows airplane kits.

Early production versions of the Saturn IB (up to the Apollo 7 flight) had alternating black and white tanks. The later version (all three manned Skylab flights and the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project) had all white tanks. The rest of the paint scheme between the two versions was pretty much similar.

Since this kit has the Apollo capsule, it will be the black and white tank scheme.

This will be a bear to paint but I will give it my best shot.

Have to wait till spring though, way tool cold here now.

No prob, I have a ways to go before paint.

she looks awesome!!!!
and I agree with mikec....the Skylab and ASTP versions of the 1b had their tanks painted all white...NASA noted some thermal effects on the tanks and traced it back to the all black tanks getting too warm as they sat in the sun...the later versions also had an uprated H-1 engine as well...up from 200k thrust to 205k.

beautiful work so far!

A bit more work on the escape tower....very tiny!!

Cheers!!

Well, this is pretty exciting!

vcp (Gary) and I have been working on his 3D printed tank shroud for the 1B.

He has sent me the parts and we are doing some tweaks to the design.

Here are the first parts, new, adjusted ones are in process:

Cheers!!

Wow those 3d parts are pretty sweet! I'd be interested since i have a 1b in the build pile that i am starting to get the itch to build.

I would be curious to know how much the 3d resin part weighs...
Even if it is heavy, it would be a great addition to the person building one for display.
I am working on a Semroc 1b right now. I am being a non-purist and used the balsa fins and will use the Apogee capsule. Since I bought multiple kits when they came out, I can always go back and do one old school if I want to.:wink:
I have to say the kit is so well engineered and executed. It has been a MUCH easier and enjoyable build than I expected. I have built many rockets and control line model planes over the years, but this is my first effort at stuff like wraps and shrouds, etc. They may not be perfect, but they all came out much better than I expected and it would not take much to make subsequent builds of this model look as good as anybody's.
I can't wait to finish this thing and fly it!

20140122_094808_resized (580 x 1032).jpg

I consider my self a very capable builder (when I put my mind to it), while my shroud turned out great, it kicked my butt the whole way there. That 3D printed one is awesome I would buy one.

TA

I consider my self a very capable builder (when I put my mind to it), while my shroud turned out great, it kicked my butt the whole way there. That 3D printed one is awesome I would buy one.

TA

Same here, I think that the 3D parts will be very nice.

Also that inside shoulder will make the bottom tube true round.

Cheers!!

I'll have those on Etsy just as soon as we confirm the fit on Mark's model. Will announce here.

Gary

OK,

This is really cool!!

After a few tweaks, Gary (vcp) and I have got the final 3D parts to where they fit very nicely.

These parts not only make for a beautiful tank shroud, there is also a shoulder ring that fits perfectly into the bottom BT-101 tube.

This addition not only makes the lower tube perfectly round at the shroud joint, but it also adds enough strength so that the stock tube spacer strips and shroud supports are not necessary.

It will also allow me to assemble, mask and paint the entire lower body assembly with fins, wraps, and shroud BEFORE I attach it to the main assembly.

I view the paint scheme on the lower assembly as one of the most difficult to achieve.

Gary will probably chime in on this thread to explain technical aspects, availability and pricing.

PS Don't be confused by the Estes Saturn V parts in the background, I am working on it simultaneously.

PIX:

that looks fantastic!! wish I could one for the Dr. Zooch 1b!
beautiful work and a great thread!!

OK,

This is really cool!!

After a few tweaks, Gary (vcp) and I have got the final 3D parts to where they fit very nicely.

These parts not only make for a beautiful tank shroud, there is also a shoulder ring that fits perfectly into the bottom BT-101 tube.

This addition not only makes the lower tube perfectly round at the shroud joint, but it also adds enough strength so that the stock tube spacer strips and shroud supports are not necessary.

It will also allow me to assemble, mask and paint the entire lower body assembly with fins, wraps, and shroud BEFORE I attach it to the main assembly.

I view the paint scheme on the lower assembly as one of the most difficult to achieve.

Gary will probably chime in on this thread to explain technical aspects, availability and pricing.

PS Don't be confused by the Estes Saturn V parts in the background, I am working on it simultaneously.

PIX:

that looks fantastic!! wish I could one for the Dr. Zooch 1b!
beautiful work and a great thread!!

I could probably do one for the Zooch. Do you have one under construction that we could use to test fit? I'd need the OD and ID of the bottom tube, the OD of the tank tubes, and the overall distance across the tank tubes. Actually I just noticed that I have one here already printed for 18mm tank tubes - is that the Zooch size?

Gary

Gary....the Zooch thrust structure tube is a standard BT-60....the problem I might see with the tanks is that they are not tubes so to speak but rather rolled tubes made out of paper stock...the tubes probably would not be a standard size, which may defeat the purpose...I suspect they would all be kinda close to one another though...I am actually gearing up to start a Zooch 1b...when I roll the tanks I will send you a PM (I don't want to to hijack this excellent build thread!)

I could probably do one for the Zooch. Do you have one under construction that we could use to test fit? I'd need the OD and ID of the bottom tube, the OD of the tank tubes, and the overall distance across the tank tubes. Actually I just noticed that I have one here already printed for 18mm tank tubes - is that the Zooch size?

Gary

After thinking and test fitting components, I can indeed build, mask and paint the lower tube section before installing on the rocket.

This will make painting that bugger a lot easier!! :clap:

I used Plastrut Plastic Weld on the 3D parts and epoxied them to the tube.

I also applied the 2 lower wraps.

White glue for the bottom centering ring.

Next, sanding and filling those built up fins (all 8 of them) and attaching to the lower unit.

Here are some shots:

Cheers!!

Latest posts

Back