Semi-scale ATACMS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
The actual missile looks pretty cool, so I think this 4" OD semi-scale version naturally does, too. Someone should make a kit of it. This one is meant to use a 3-grain Cesaroni case which can provide up to H total impulse. Positive motor retention is accomplished with one of the Estes 29mm retainers which is well recessed in the base to prevent ground impact damage.

I cut the base of the nosecone off to allow more room for recovery components and attached the 9/16" tubular nylon shock cord with a longitudinal string of four aluminum pop rivets with appropriate ID washers riveted in place inside on top of the shock cord, the holes in the shock cord having been created using an old soldering iron.

For the heck of it, I did an adhesive adhesion test on the base of the nose cone that I'd cut off and got pretty much the results I had expected. I washed the plastic with dish soap and water, then ground the surface rough with a Dremel. On that surface I put two pools of adhesive, one of 30-minute epoxy, the other of Gorilla Glue with a few drops of water added and the mix kneaded within the saran wrap bubble that held it, then applied.

After cure, the plastic was flexed. The epoxy popped right off but the Gorilla Glue had to be pried off with difficulty with a flat blade screwdriver, some of it remaining adhered to the plastic indicating to me that is was more a failure of the cured Gorilla Glue foam than of the surface adhesion joint.

12886828443_66c2aa4dce_o.jpg

What nose come is that? Do you have a rocksim or openrocket file? I really like this rocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I love a nice stubby! Wait, that didn't sound right...

How much nose weight did you have to add?

Last edited:
What nose come is that? Do you have a rocksim or openrocket file? I really like this rocket!
It's the Apogee PNC-4.00" x 16.5" (98mm) which I believe is the Madcow 4" x 16.5" nosecone since it's identical to the one on my Super DX3. I just looked in the nosecone section on the Madcow site that used to list it and it's no longer listed, only a 4" fiberglass version. I wonder what they're using on their DX3s then. The remaining stock? The aspect ratio of the nosecone in the photo looks a tad longer than it actually is due to the wide angle photo taken fairly close up, although not by much.

Do you have a rocksim or openrocket file? I really like this rocket!
I'll post a Rocksim/Openrocket file as soon as I have a successful flight with the max impulse (and weight) motor bringing the CG as far back as will be experienced.

I love a nice stubby! Wait, that didn't sound right...

How much nose weight did you have to add?
None. That's why I limited it to a 3-grain 29mm motor instead of the 38mm I believe is used in the Madcow stubby kits. It has a stability margin of 0.60 without the stubby rocket (aspect ratio <10) base drag simulation cheat described in one of the Apogee newsletters, 1.32 with the cheat.

I'll post a Rocksim/Openrocket file as soon as I have a successful flight with the max impulse (and weight) motor bringing the CG as far back as will be experienced.

Cool, thanks!

Very Nice!!!:clap:
Thanks, but it's easy when you start with such a cool looking missile to begin with.

Weight 1,670 kilograms (3,690 lb)
Length 4.0 metres (13 ft)
Diameter 610 millimetres (24 in)
Maximum firing range 300 km (190 mi)
Flight ceiling 48 kilometres (158,000 ft)
Guidance system GPS aided inertial guidance
Warhead of latest block is a 230 kilogram (500 lb) unitary HE warhead

It can dive vertically onto the target to minimize collateral damage.

796px-ATACMSMay2006.jpg

1874.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, but it's easy when you start with such a cool looking missile to begin with.

Weight 1,670 kilograms (3,690 lb)
Length 4.0 metres (13 ft)
Diameter 610 millimetres (24 in)
Maximum firing range 300 km (190 mi)
Flight ceiling 48 kilometres (158,000 ft)
Guidance system GPS aided inertial guidance
Warhead of latest block is a 230 kilogram (500 lb) unitary HE warhead

It can dive vertically onto the target to minimize collateral damage.

796px-ATACMSMay2006.jpg

1874.jpg

Great Pics'!!! Saved them to my Computer.
A thing of Beauty indeed!!!

It's the Apogee PNC-4.00" x 16.5" (98mm) which I believe is the Madcow 4" x 16.5" nosecone since it's identical to the one on my Super DX3. I just looked in the nosecone section on the Madcow site that used to list it and it's no longer listed, only a 4" fiberglass version. I wonder what they're using on their DX3s then. The remaining stock? The aspect ratio of the nosecone in the photo looks a tad longer than it actually is due to the wide angle photo taken fairly close up, although not by much.
I emailed Madcow and they said they are changing the plastic molding supplier and are reserving all current nosecones of that type for their DX3s during the transition.

Back