Seeking HPR Advice / Mentor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Fogel

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I'm wrapping up my first HPR Dual Deployment build and getting to the finish line. I was wondering if someone in the community would be able to speak with me a few times (i.e. video call) and mentor me though the final stages of assembly and testing. I want to use this rocket for my Level 1 Cert.

It's a fully assembled Madcow Torrent (https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Kits/Skill-Level-3-Model-Rocket-Kits/Torrent). It uses a Telemetrum for avionics (https://altusmetrum.org/TeleMetrum).

I'm at the stage where I need advice on dual deployment, sheer pins, motor selection, motor "delay" ejection, parachute packing / folding, ejection charge testing using the Telemetrum, in preparation for flight in the spring.

So I'm seeking someone with Dual Deployment experience and Level 1 Certification mentoring.

Can you help me locate someone ?

Thanks,

Mike

Assuming you are going to certify with a club, is there anyone at the club who would be willing to get together with you? I'm not sure how a video call would go. A lot of attention gets focused on where the camera is, what can you see?, etc. Maybe someone would be willing to sit outside with you, six feet and masks, etc.

Hi !

Good questions. I live in the NYC / NJ area and I recently sent a similar message to a local NAR club. Waiting to hear back.
I’d much prefer in person. Video could be useful with movable camera.

I have a Torrent built for motor eject single deploy, and a MC super DX3 setup dual deploy. I am currently L2 certified and live in Minnesota. Send me a PM.

~John

Apogee components on Facebook has a lot of videos that could help.
A video about L1 cert process
Dual deployment ect.

Hi !

Good questions. I live in the NYC / NJ area and I recently sent a similar message to a local NAR club. Waiting to hear back.
I’d much prefer in person. Video could be useful with movable camera.
Which club do you plan on flying with for your cert?
Your best bet would be to review some of the build threads on here to help you develop some specific questions. You could then post those questions here, and also feel free to PM them to me if you'd like.

Lots of info out there and lots of people to help but just wanted to say that you'll do great on your cert simply because you're asking for the mentor and asking all the right questions.

Hi Mike,
I’m a L2 rocketeer who’s taking off from work for the month of December. Shoot me a PM if no one from you’d local club steps up.

Hi Everyone !

Thank you for all the supportive comments and ideas here. Nice to see an active and supportive forum. I am very familiar with the Apogee videos and some from John Coker. All very useful.

Here are some of my specific questions (all in context of dual deployment):

Are sheer pins really needed ? What type of sheer pins ?
Sheer pins only needed on the upper part of the dual deployment ?
What is a decent motor selection for the Madcow Torrent ? Apogee RocketSim indicates Aerotech H550ST - ?? s delay
What should the motor ejection charge delay be for the dual deployment assuming that the avionics will fire at apogee for the drogue chute ?
If the motor uses a delay charge - it will only deploy the drogue chute, not the main, right ?
What ejection charge power is typically used in the little ebay "cups" to eject the drogue / main chutes ?
How much powder should I use ? Is there a standard measure ?
Best way to test dual deployment ? Put it all together and use the Telemetrum to eject the charges while laying horizontally on the ground ?
Does anyone have a checklist for a dual deployment I can "borrow" ?

Thanks,

Mike

These are all really good questions....

Sheer pins aren't "needed" but they make your deployments more consistent. If some one tells you that the nose cone should be "snug", that means different things to different people and so the amount of black powder (pressure) needed to pop a nose cone will vary based upon how tight that connection is. Sheer pins remove the ambiguity because the sheer pin alway takes the same amount of force to pop coupler.

On my fiberglass rockets, I run sheer pins on both the fin can and nose cone. On cardboard rockets, I only put sheer pins in the nose cone. I find that I can get a consistent separation for the drogue chute using just the friction fit for the fin section but want the extra security on the nose cone to make sure it doesn't fly off when the drogue deploys.

For a first (cert) flight, you may want to go with a small H motor. The cardboard 4" Torrent should fly really nicely on an Aerotech H130/H123. The higher thrust motors just add stress to your build and you already have a lot of "new to you" items of the flight.

Consider simulating the flight in OpenRocket (free) or RockSim. This will allow you to enter your rockets weight and simulate flight profiles for different motors and will give you the optimal motor delay (for the drogue chute only). If you stick with dual deploy, I'd add a couple of seconds to the optimal delay and allow it to be the backup charge. The Rocksim file (which also works with OpenRocket) is available at Apogee or Madcow website.

I use PVC or cooper pipe caps from lowes to hold my black powder charges.

The only way to know, for sure, how much black powder you need for your charges is to ground test. Set your rocket up like it would be for flight and fire the charges. Did the rocket separate? Did the parachute release? Too much blackpowder stress less the recovery harness and can lead to damage or free falling parts, too little and the rocket doesn't separate. It takes some trial and error but gets better with experience. I'd start with the 1g or 1.5g for your Tormach. You can also get estimates from the ejection charge calculator (https://www.rimworld.com/nassarocketry/tools/chargecalc/index.html)

The way I tested my dual deploy when I first started was by flying it with the main and drogue chute flipped. This way even if the altimeter failed at Apogee, the motor charge will still deploy the main chute. If everything worked perfectly, the main came out at apogee and the drogue deployed at 500 feet. This worked well to build my confidence in what I was doing in a safe way. I did these flights low and slow so that even with the apogee deploy, I had a relatively short walk to recover.

Hope this helps. Keep asking good questions

Hi Everyone !

Thank you for all the supportive comments and ideas here. Nice to see an active and supportive forum. I am very familiar with the Apogee videos and some from John Coker. All very useful.

Here are some of my specific questions (all in context of dual deployment):

Are sheer pins really needed ? What type of sheer pins ?
Sheer pins only needed on the upper part of the dual deployment ?
What is a decent motor selection for the Madcow Torrent ? Apogee RocketSim indicates Aerotech H550ST - ?? s delay
What should the motor ejection charge delay be for the dual deployment assuming that the avionics will fire at apogee for the drogue chute ?
If the motor uses a delay charge - it will only deploy the drogue chute, not the main, right ?
What ejection charge power is typically used in the little ebay "cups" to eject the drogue / main chutes ?
How much powder should I use ? Is there a standard measure ?
Best way to test dual deployment ? Put it all together and use the Telemetrum to eject the charges while laying horizontally on the ground ?
Does anyone have a checklist for a dual deployment I can "borrow" ?

Thanks,

Mike

There's lots of ways to do these things, so keep that in mind as more people weigh in. These are my opinions...

I'd use shear pins on the main but not the drogue. 2 #2 nylon screws should be plenty. I have seen that people use brass plates to cut the shear pins more cleanly, but I don't have experience doing that since my dual deploys have all been fiberglass.

The motor selection will really depend on your all-up weight. If it's around the 63 oz/1700g for the stock kit, you'll want a minimum of 120-150N of initial thrust. In the Aerotech DMS line, I'd look at either the H100W (white flame/smoke) or the H219T (blue flame, low smoke). For a cert flight, I'd probably tend to the H219 for a faster kick off the pad, but that's how I usually roll. Regardless, simulate the rocket (including an all-up weight override) in OpenRocket or RockSim, put in a ~6 foot rail, and see what the speed off the rail is. You'll want ~45+ feet/s off the rail, more if it's windy. The H550ST won't overstress a well-built rocket, but it is a big kick in the pants.

The simulation will tell you what the delay should be.

If you pack the chutes the "normal" way, the motor ejection charge will only eject the drogue. That's enough to make the flight safe-ish. It's unlikely to harm anyone, though it's coming down fast enough it might break itself or something it lands on. If you're choosing where to put redundancy, put it on the drogue unless you plan to eject the main at apogee as mentioned above.

Normally you'd use FFFFg black powder for the ejection charge. For quantity, you'll need to do ground testing. Start with the amount in the motor that you're using, and adjust up and down as needed. You want the rocket to separate "with authority" so that the parachutes come out of the tube and the recovery harness is mostly or entirely extended. You don't need so much that the nose cone is hitting the end of the recovery harness hard.

My checklist is below. Note that there are very reasonable disagreements about when to test continuity with the ejection charges. I build the charges and then connect them and test continuity before I assemble the AV bay into the top and bottom of the rocket. Other people prefer to do that test with a bare ematch before building the charge. Regardless, you should have safety glasses/face shield on when you test continuity and there should be nobody in the immediate vicinity.

• Lay out parts
  • Empty BP from motor
  • Build ejection charges. Drogue ¼ tsp, main 3/8 tsp for primary charges
  • Load motor into casing. Tape igniter to side of rocket.
  • Connect flight electronics batteries
  • Assemble AV bay with wires sticking out
  • Attach drogue shock cord to fin can and AV bay
  • Pack drogue and harness into fin can
  • Fold and pack main and harness into upper airframe
  • Connect GPS battery and install nose cone bulkhead
  • Connect main harness to nose cone and AV bay
  • Twist and tape ejection charges
  • In a clear area, turn on flight electronics to check continuity. Turn off immediately
  • Install AV bay in lower airframe
  • Install upper airframe with retention screws
  • Install motor and retention
  • Take to RSO, put on the rail, raise rail to launch position
  • Turn on Eggtimer Classic, arm Eggtimer Quantum
  • Check continuity on both channels on both altimeters [insert beep codes]
  • Insert igniter and test continuity
  • LAUNCH!
  • Recover, turn off altimeters
  • Open nose cone and unplug GPS transmitter

In addition to what tHoagland wrote, lots of folks use ground testing to validate ejection charges and altimeter function. There are several ways to do this, but IMHO, using a vacuum is probably the most comprehensive method.
Friction fitting works well for most low-thrust flights, just remember to adjust the fit just prior to your flight, before heat and humidity have time to make things tighter/looser.

If nothing else works out my club does a virtual build night every Tuesday on Zoom. We are in Ohio. We have two L3 club members, probably about 10 L2, and another 10 at L1. We have mentored tons of people, so you would get lots of advice. Let me know if you need to join us.

Last edited:

For a first (cert) flight, you may want to go with a small H motor. The cardboard 4" Torrent should fly really nicely on an Aerotech H130/H123. The higher thrust motors just add stress to your build and you already have a lot of "new to you" items of the flight.

Why the "new to you"? If you've done a a fair number of mid-power flights with the same building techniques, then it should not be new at all.

Hi All,

Excellent advice and many of my questions got answered. One final question for now...

My HPR has a booster section, an ebay, a payload section, and a nose cone. That's essentially 4 "tubes". For dual deployment, doesn't the payload section need to be secured to the ebay or to the nose cone ? Otherwise the payload tube will just sort of be dangling on the main chute shock cord, correct ? What is used to secure them ?

Thanks again everyone !

Mike

Hi All,

Excellent advice and many of my questions got answered. One final question for now...

My HPR has a booster section, an ebay, a payload section, and a nose cone. That's essentially 4 "tubes". For dual deployment, doesn't the payload section need to be secured to the ebay or to the nose cone ? Otherwise the payload tube will just sort of be dangling on the main chute shock cord, correct ? What is used to secure them ?

Thanks again everyone !

Mike
Typically plastic rivets are used to secure the payload tube to the electronics bay coupler. Something like these:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Misc_Hardware/Removable_Plastic_Rivets

Few options there
Hi All,

Thanks again everyone !

Mike
Few options there.
Many use removeable plastic rivets, you can find them on Apogee.
Others use the aluminum inserts than can also be found on Apogee's website. I use these on larger fiberglass rockets, and they work well.
PEM nuts are another option that many use.
Some folks simply tape the payload tube to the ebay.
On my 3" LOC, I actually epoxied the tube to the ebay. A little more work to load everything, but I never have to worry about it coming apart. Of course, it would also make repair more difficult too.

Back