Searching For a Suitable Launch Site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to my life over the last so many years. I live in Temecula and really don't want to drive 3 hours to launch a A, B or C rocket. My solution, bought property in TN and looking to retire soon. Also I have been known to fly out east when we take desert trips.

I see four other NAR sections around the San Bernadino/Riverside area besides ROC in Lucerne.
Also TRG in Temecula.
View attachment 487129

Search local clubs/NAR club locator on the NAR website.

Other than Lucerne, only one other of these NAR Sections has a launch site which at the present time is closed.

The San Diego NAR Section (DART) recently was able to use their launch site on Fiesta Island again.
Yes, it is an island (Almost. It's connected to the mainland by a access road).
There is a 1000' altitude limit (Lindberg Field is nearby) and plenty of other folks are using jet skies, powerboats and canoes.
Oh, there is also a dog park close to the launch area.
Vehicles are not allowed near the rangehead so it is a 100 yard walk from the parking area to the launch pads.
Still, it's better than nothing.

I live in San Diego.
Lucerne is a three hour drive for me one way. I go when I want to and have the time.
My nearest launch site here in San Diego is about an hour from me.
The SCRA (NAR Section 430) launch site (Irwindale) was/is two hours from me.
I drive so I can fly. ;)

From what I read, the guy running SCRA wants everyone to pay their park admission fee, as well as their lunch at the nearby Jack In The Box using gold dollar coins or $2 bills, fill out a flight card before EVERY launch, and use the lowest-powered motor for each particular model.

From what I read, the guy running SCRA wants everyone to pay their park admission fee, as well as their lunch at the nearby Jack In The Box using gold dollar coins or $2 bills, fill out a flight card before EVERY launch, and use the lowest-powered motor for each particular model.

"Fill out a flight card before every launch" is pretty much what you're going to find at any organized launch.

I used to have a real nice bigopenparkthingey in my town.
Then they went and built two new schools on the land along with a firefighter and emergency response straining facility and they are now building new city-recreational building as well.

You know, a bunch of silly stuff that people don't want or need . . . I WANT MY LAUNCH FIELD BACK!!

I don't know CA's laws. Here in Maryland, you can usually find a sports field when no one is playing. I have flown many times on a soccer field behind a public library. If a county sports team shows up, I pack up and leave. Usually they'll ask me to launch one or two for their own entertainment while they set up. Is something like that doable?

My 2 cents, not being a California flyer, but I do fly with and help run regular club launches.

Each club runs their range with varying degrees of control. Club launches ain't for everybody and based on the original post I think the op may fall in this category, which is all good. I don't know how common flight cards are but we use them to collect statistics and aid in post-mortem or an insurance claim scenario. FWIW the info for SCRA is here:

http://mebowitz.com/

Didn't see anything about Jack In The Box. :)

I live in SoCal (Inland Empire). I DON'T want to join a clique, or attract the authorities. Just a place to bring my B-sized powered rockets, launch, retrieve, and depart. Period.
Good luck….I live in northern CA Bay Area and most of the NAR sections and fields are still closed…..or lousy locations.…lost many fields and the fire Marshalls all say NO because most of CA has been on fire….between the arsonists and power lines, I have been rethinking on giving up and going to my other hobbies. May be a huge rocket sale soon :)…just no fun anymore in north CA. And no, I am not driving 6-8 hrs just to launch.

Sounds like a VERY LIMITED hobby to participate in, if the basic things like a suitable launch site are few and far between.
Just moved from Tennessee to Vancouver, Wa. Lots of things I don’t miss, but I do miss the park 1/2 mile from my house, where I could fly pretty much every weekday morning, or early Saturdays.

I don't know CA's laws. Here in Maryland, you can usually find a sports field when no one is playing. I have flown many times on a soccer field behind a public library. If a county sports team shows up, I pack up and leave. Usually they'll ask me to launch one or two for their own entertainment while they set up. Is something like that doable?
Not here in California, though that would be a dream come true for me and the situation I'm in.

I live in San Diego.
Lucerne is a three hour drive for me one way. I go when I want to and have the time.
My nearest launch site here in San Diego is about an hour from me.
The SCRA (NAR Section 430) launch site (Irwindale) was/is two hours from me.
I drive so I can fly. ;)
What's it like at Fiesta Island? Is it in Mission Bay?

What's it like at Fiesta Island? Is it in Mission Bay?

Yes, Fiesta Island is in Mission Bay. It is connected to the mainland by a road.
Fiesta Island was originally a dumping area that was covered over with sand and turned into a recreational area.
Boats, jet skis, dog park, canoes, fishing and even some crazy people flying rockets.
There is a 1000' maximum altitude limit for rocket flying. Even then you need to be careful or will have to swim to recover your rocket.
Model rockets only, no HPR.

Welcome to my life over the last so many years. I live in Temecula and really don't want to drive 3 hours to launch a A, B or C rocket. My solution, bought property in TN and looking to retire soon. Also I have been known to fly out east when we take desert trips.
If you're going to be near Memphis check out the local NAR club # 550, https://midsouthrockets.com

Vehicles are not allowed near the rangehead so it is a 100 yard walk from the parking area to the launch pads.
I was at the October DART launch and they were allowing vehicles at the field. Whether it’s allowed appears to depend on the whims of whoever at Park & Rec grants the permit, not a long-standing policy. Check DART’s FaceBook page for updates, somebody will usually be posting a pre-launch update to confirm or cancel, as well as post any advisories for flyers.

I ended up not bringing the BMW I was borrowing onto the field because the owner didn’t want it to get hit by a rocket or stuck in the sand, but there were plenty of other cars parked near my setup spot.

There’s another spot in Escondido that will begin granting permits shortly. A and B power only. https://fire.escondido.org/model-rockets

This seems to vary a great deal region-by-region - laws, norms, fire-risk, etc...

I usually look for a Football field sized area or larger. I actually find it easier to launch in winter with snow on the ground, less people and figure there is no risk of fire. Basically when the weather is really great for joggers and picnics I know parks will be packed and I am more nervous about launching. I also like to go after a rain or when it is overcast. I guess in CA you always have nice weather.

Given the fire risks in CA, I wonder if you can use a really large parking lot when the business is closed? I don't really size my recovery systems for hard landings like that but something to consider as an option.

Someone told me there's spots out in Moreno Valley to launch at, but I'm not sure about the risk I'll be taking, regarding the authorities showing up, and taking me into custody.

This seems to vary a great deal region-by-region - laws, norms, fire-risk, etc...

I usually look for a Football field sized area or larger. I actually find it easier to launch in winter with snow on the ground, less people and figure there is no risk of fire. Basically when the weather is really great for joggers and picnics I know parks will be packed and I am more nervous about launching. I also like to go after a rain or when it is overcast.

This is my strategy, too. However, during the past 2 years where nobody works, or are allegedly working from home, the parks are busier than ever, 24/7. Pretty much all outdoor pursuits are overrun with people, right now.

I sympathize with OP's lament. I am not going to drive for hours, fill out a flight card, and wait in queue just to launch a B motor.

I launch on frozen lakes in the winter for this very reason. All the parks nearby are filled with trees.

I sympathize with OP's lament. I am not going to drive for hours, fill out a flight card, and wait in queue just to launch a B motor.

Every national rocketry event (NARAM, NSL, LDRS) where I have flown a rocket requires the flier to fill out a flight card.
I fill out flight cards for 'local' launches also.
The only launches that I have attended that did not require filling out flight cards were Lucerne and DART on Fiesta Island.
Filling out flight cards is no big deal. I print them out ahead of time and fill in the blanks.
When I get to the launch I just have to do the final prep on my rockets, go to the check-in line, have my flight card signed off then go put my rocket on the assigned launch pad. Some rocket sections/clubs are more efficient at this process than others.

I've been filling out flight cards for rocket launches going back 35 years. It's no big deal.

Back