Scratch Built Falcon 9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguffer

Reaction score
Scratch built a Falcon 9 CRS-19 with 24mm motor mount. Had previously prototyped to test friction-fit, removable fins. This is the more display-worth build.

Main airframe obtained from eRockets. eRockets was phasing out that size body tube. I'd found mailing tubes at local Meijer store, but Meijer mailing tubes had much deeper grooves to fill. Did use Meijer mailing tube for coupler.
Landing legs, capsule, grid fins, and nozzles were produced by Boyce Aerospace, having Boyce custom upscale their normal sized parts to 1/70th.
Decals were created by using InkScape to read/deconstruct/manipulate/reconstruct the wraps from paper models website (https://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/index.php/falcon-9), then printed out on Laser printer that can handle thicker stock of decal paper.
Raceways and other details were cut/sanded from balsa and wooden skewers.
Polycarbonate fins were already cut out from the prior prototype build. Fins are friction fit. Friction fit fins launched just fine, and were easily removed for display.
Landing legs did not want to lay flat even with sanding, unless i sanded some of the visible webbing away. No fault of Boyce that i can tell. I probably gave a slightly off scale number. I didn't even bother contacting Boyce, i just cut them into two with razor saw and said that is good enough.
One side of details was not glued on to provide room for railbuttons. After launch, rail buttons were removed and that side of details was finally glued on.

Back