School Me

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this may sound kinda crazy...but if i properly reinforced a paper towel tube and sprayed it with some fire retardant paint....could I use that for my Main MMT?
Its the perfect size to interchange both a 29mm and 35mm with...
Is this an alright idea?

I don't know, most paper towel tubes are pretty much wimpy.
The way I look at it, you should take the time to get a proper MMT. You are going to spend $$ on all the other rocket parts, you are going to spend $$$$ on the motor, why skimp on the MMT?

A 34", 38mm mmt tube only costs about $5 or $6 and is long enough for two or three motors mounts. You'd probably spend at least that for your "reinforcing" and fire proof paint. Better to go for the real thing, probably actually cheaper too.

George

alright now that we are somewhat talking durability... what is the next level up from basswood/balsa?....
cost?
avaibility?
Im not to sure if these basswood fins are going to cut it..especially if im looking to possibly really beef this rocket up with a ... **coughLARGEcough** motor.

Blue_Ninja_150
You said to wrap tape around the nozzle end?
So bascially you create a friction fit?....this keeps the engine in?

incase anyone cares to see...here is the final design of the rocket itself.
All 9 FT....it may have varied a little since the first post i made on this..but its still realitively the same.

and yet another question...
could i use a body tube..the paper tubing that estes make..BT-55 to be exact for a main tube?..this wouldn't actually hold the Motor it would hold the casing.
That sound alright?

Moocrew,
You should bring that to a Tripoli Mid-Ohio launch. Our new launch field is just north of your location. We have launchers, pads, and lots of people available to answer your questions. We'll be flying this weekend. Check our website at www.tripolimidohio.org.

Well not exactly... The friction fit is to keep the motor from coming out. This keeps teh motor from ramming up the motor tube and destroying your rocket. It is a layer of tape thicker than the mmt that goes around the nozzle end. I've heard of this used on O motors, so it will work fine for 29 & 38mm motors.

Originally posted by moocrew
alright now that we are somewhat talking durability... what is the next level up from basswood/balsa?....
cost?
avaibility?

When you get into rockets of this size you should use aircraft grade plywood or G10 fiberglass. But this rocket is sounding heavier all the time and may require more than one G motor...or an H128. :D

Besides coming to a TMO launch, you really need to get thee over to Mechanicsburg, to the most revered rocket shrine known as MAGNUM. Ross Dunton is probably the country's premier rocketry vendor and is practically right next door to you. Between his store and our new field you are in a primo location, bro.

Originally posted by Chilly
Between his store and our new field you are in a primo location, bro.

Noooooo kidding. Man, I can't tell you how much I learned just by attending launches and talking to people. That's the best thing about this hobby - everyone wants to help everyone else. Have a question? Just ask the guy next to you!

That really is the best way to learn in this hobby - attend a launch, and see the answers put into action.

Loopy

you guys have any ideas for paint schemes?
im having a hard time deciding on what to do.
im open to any ideas at all.

Back