Saturn 1B?? BAH! How about this??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy upscales Batman!

What will Estes come out with next?!?!

Lamar

I'd be happy (for the time being, at least) just to see the *basic* Estes SS1 kit come into the stores in my area----I still have not found one anywhere.
And the way that people report how the little one flies, I'm not sure I would be ready to shell out $$$$$ for a bigger version.

The so-called 'bell' nozzle is *still* on the SS1, it is simply covered up by the external fairing.
The expansion nozzle is necessary for the SS1 motor to produce any significant thrust. It is a metal structure that carries significant pressure loads and gets quite warm.
The external fairing is a light-weight fiberglass appendage that is only there to streamline the airflow a bit. It covers the nozzle, but would disintegrate just about instantly if it had to contain the pressures or endure the temperatures that the nozzle sees.

AWESOME! This and the revived S1B are exactly what I'd like to see more of from Estes.
I would be very happy if they started reviving the "masters series" kits. I love scale and D/E/F power is a perfect size for that.

I definately want one of these but like the V-2, I really can't see the E9 being a decent motor for this.

I might strengthen mine for E and F composite motors.

F21 anyone???:D

Originally posted by Chilly
I'm already planning to make mine R/C recovery...:D

I feel a hack coming on.....

Spaceship One recovery. Hinge the wings and have them flip up at ejection. A spring inside instead of elastic outside. A piston to keep the wings straight, moves forward with the ejection, lets the stop flop down, wings flop up...

Yes, I can see this happening.

Definitely glass.

F21s? Perfect. If they'd just start making them.

Originally posted by DynaSoar

Spaceship One recovery. Hinge the wings and have them flip up at ejection. A spring inside instead of elastic outside. A piston to keep the wings straight, moves forward with the ejection, lets the stop flop down, wings flop up...

Definitely glass.

This sounds like a great mod!

I wonder if it will be released on schedule since I wouldn't think there would be any more disputes over licensing.

As for size, I'm picturing a 2.6 inch main tube (BT-80).

I think this would be fun to fly on 24mm RMS motors like the F24. F39 might rip the wings off.;)

To quote a famous fake astronaut: "Oh, I hope not".

And you know the 18mm motor powered RTF SSO in the upcoming starter set is foam (I think that's what I heard).

A larger model should be easier to get stable. of course, the big heavy E9 will make things interesting. As long as lift off weight is in the 12 ounce range then we won't have to be super afraid of cross wind. Anything heavier and it might move too slow off the rod and just turn horizontal.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Fred,
Does this mean that it is now BIG and kinda unstable?:D

Definitely glass.

DynaSoar,

Have you seen the pictures or newsgroup postings about Warren Benson's (of NHRC) mods to his Estes SS1? He's done something very much like what you describe. I don't know if he's gotten it to work just yet, though.

Definitely glass.

Just so I am straight on this discussion, are we talking the "feather-mode" recovery? Wouldn't it still have some speed to it? Shoot, for $8.88 at Walmart I could build a test fleet!

Originally posted by eugenefl
Just so I am straight on this discussion, are we talking the "feather-mode" recovery? Wouldn't it still have some speed to it? Shoot, for $8.88 at Walmart I could build a test fleet!

I just wish I could *find* one for $8.88 at Wal-Mart!

(Although I already have 2 of them in the normal non-launchables packaging, one of which I bought for 40% off at HL...)

Back