Safest ways to use a tether...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr_rocket04

Reaction score
I had a similar post because I was confused about how the tether actually worked...now I'm asking for some advice for the best tangle-free setup because I have ordered one.

I was thinking about having the tether attached 5 feet or so under the main which has about 10ft of cord. Then from the tether, 25 feet of cord with attchments as follows: tether at 0 end, 15 ft cord T at the 10ft point to main bag, drogue at 20ft point, and nose at 25ft end. Nose, bag, and drogue will separate on main deploy. Does this sound alright, or is there a better setup?

The Tether instruction manual is really good at describing configurations. My favorite is the "In-Line" method, which releases cleanly and can hold (according to DG) ~300 lbs.

https://www.macson.com/_pass5/dg/tm.pdf

Attach the lower tab quick link to the U-bolt in your booster, and the other tab to the top of the main D-bag (but run the d-bag attachment up to the top! Otherwise it will rotate the bag in the airframe and not pull out...) and the drogue shock cord. When Tether releases, the drogue is now able to pull on the main d-bag line and pull the bag out of the airframe. It becomes the pilot and extracts the main from the d-bag. Depending on if you attach the d-bag to the main chute or not, you will have a free-falling nose cone with drogue. I prefer to tether them just so I don't have to walk as far ;)

Kinda hard to describe with words, but it'll make sense once you pack it!

Jerry O'Sullivan has some good photos of rigging on his website too:

https://www.vahpr.com/n3_p5.htm#ebrc

This uses the ARRD, but same general idea.

HTH!

Originally posted by pr_rocket04
tether at 0 end, 15 ft cord T at the 10ft point to main bag, drogue at 20ft point, and nose at 25ft end. Nose, bag, and drogue will separate on main deploy. Does this sound alright, or is there a better setup?

I would not say their is a better setup, but there are different ones. That setup is great for a seperate nose return. I mount the drogues right at the nose on my rockets to keep noses from seperating due to forces.

I used the following setup on my M powered Paper Bruiser.

Nose cone and drogue attached at the nose cone lip. 25 feet of harness to a quick link attached to the top canopy ring of my Skyangle XL main chute.

The XL main chute is in it's deployment bag and the bag is fastened to the ebays harness hasp. the tether is attached to this same Hasp.

The main has 45 feet of harness also attached to the ebay harness hasp.

The tether holds the Drouge harness end until it releases.

The drouge is pulling on the tether until the tether releases. Once it releases, the drouge harness end pulls the SkyAngle XL chute out of the bag from the top canopy ring.

I like it all together so only one item to hunt for.

Others like your seperate nose cone seperation with the bag as they don't like the nose and drouge on top of the main.

I've flown my setup 4 times so far and have not had a problem with the cone and drouge on top of the main.

Back