RRC3 Terminal Block Screw Fell Out

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatotherguy501

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to ask for some advice and input regarding a screw that fell out of my Missile Works RRC3 altimeter. I've flown it a half dozen times, but following the most recent flight, a screw happened to fall out. I've tried similar sized screws, but it doesn't appear that they can just be replaced. The other screws begin to click and remain in place when unscrewed as much as possible.

I was curious if anyone else has had a similar issue in the past? I haven't been able to get a hold of Missile Works yet to possibly send it back for a replacement (could be the holidays), so is that something that I could desolder and resolder a new 4-pin terminal block myself? I haven't found a suitable replacement block online yet either.

Thank you for your help!

Give Jim (Missile Works) a call and I'm sure he'll take care of it for you. I believe he is a one man show so he can't always answer the phone but leave him a message and he'll get back to you.

I had the same problem on my Eggtimer. Definitely talk to Jim. If that fails, A #0-80 screw (Grainger or a REALLY good hardware store) will probably fit the screw hole. You'll need to get it a little long though because the head doesn't fit into the top of the terminal block. It still works, just has a little more stuff sticking out the top. You could also try cannibalizing a pair of glasses from a thrift store.

Unfortunately, the terminal blocks are not designed to be used a lot. If you end up needing a part #, let me know. I have a RRC3 and can source the terminal block once I check the pin spacing.

This is unfortunately a common problem. Screw terminal blocks generally don't have captive screws, so if you back them out too far they can fall out. Sometimes the little piece on the top that clamps down on the wire doesn't pop back up when you back out the screw, which entices you to back the screw out farther than it needs to be in order to try to open up the clamp, and before you know it the screw is loose. You can't always tell if it's loose until it's too late and it falls out. There are some cam-actuated blocks too, you push a lever down and it clamps down on the wire... I looked at them early on for Eggtimers and discarded the idea, I wouldn't trust them under G forces.

I'm sure Jim can get you a screw, I have no doubt that he has a whole lot of these laying around...

Jim sells those Phoenix terminal blocks. I probably have several used ones that I’ve swapped out over the years, but I won’t be able to find them until spring cleaning.

Anyone have a dead altimeter with this terminal block? Just take a screw from it and use it to replace the missing screw.

I've got a bunch of screw terminal blocks. I can either send you a complete block (don't remember if they're 2- or 3-screw blocks) that you can take the screws out of, or I could head over to Ace Hardware and find a replacement. Any/all yours if you want it. Gotta go grocery shopping tomorrow, and Ace is next door, so I might as well stop in.

I have not yet, and I haven't been able to get ahold of Him at Missile Works either. I'll have to try again after the holidays.

You can message him here, on Facebook, or through the contact stuff on his web site(I recommend through his web site). He'll respond, just give him the courtesy of time to do it. He posted a picture today of a ton of stuff being boxed for shipping.

Update here: this is now resolved! Jim sent me a replacement terminal block in the mail, and using a scroll saw, I separated the two terminals. The plastic was fairly soft, so using pliers, I picked at the plastic to release the screw. Probably not the cleanest way to do it, but all taken care of now.

Before the replacement came in the mail, I also managed to fold over an exposed part of 22 AWG and cram it into the wire opening to hold. While I didn't fly it that way, it held up through some ground testing. 20190125_123803.jpeg

Back