RockSim Ver. 9.0.9.87

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stardust

Reaction score
I have RockSim Ver.9.0.5.80 running on Windows Vista Home premium....I am a little iffy about the operating system and RockSim. I used sim files from LOC to run the model I have, and got some surprises when I flew the rocket. There are a few other little qurkey disfunctions in RockSim too. The upgrade online did not do much to solve issues either. A new /updated version cd used as an overwrite does not seem to be much better. Tried to use windows program delete function to get rid of it, did not work either. The delete feature in Rocksim itself did not work. After the update download and all the foofaraw I thought the data could be corrupted. Now Have to delete by pick, hunt and click, and put up with what remains on the computer. The program still kind of works?

Wish I would have gotten a kit, motors, or something else with the money...Possibly need an older Ver. of Windows to run this, or a Mac like all of em use at Apogee.

Back when I played computer games, "Doom" was a whole lot cheaper, and a whole lot more fun... and stable...ha ha!

I will keep working with Apogee :^)

Last edited:
What problems are you having (details would be nice, rather than just calling them "quirky dysfunctions")? I'm running Rocksim V9 in Windows 7, and it runs just fine.

Yeah, I hear ya...

I run RS 8 in Windows Vista Home Premium... and I've had issues as well. Fortunately, seems most of them have been worked out, but there are still some things that just "ain't quite right" and are darned annoying, especially considering how expensive the software is (though it is a good value for what it does, but you're right-- it is rather unstable and glitchy).

I installed it on my parent's Windows XP machine and it worked great. When I bought a new computer and put it on my Vista machine, problems, problems, problems. I contacted Tim and he helped me get it running, but when I let it update itself it went whacko and wouldn't open or run at all. After trying everything that Tim could come up with to no avail, including uninstalling and reinstalling from both the website and the disk, I finally had my BIL come out and just totally wipe the computer and reload the whole thing from the master disks. I reinstalled RS and it worked. Next time it updated, it did fine, but developed another small but annoying problem. Thing is, whenever I click on RS now, though, nothing happens. I click the shortcut again, and after about a minute it displays a box saying something to the effect that the "link is out of date-- would you like to update it?" I click "yes" and the box goes away, and then after about another minute RS will FINALLY open up on the screen. It's weird... I contacted Tim about it and his response was less than helpful-- "Hmmm... does it open up eventually??" "Yes" says I... "Well, so long as it opens up, don't worry about it." :confused: No matter what I do, that's how it works. I had problems printing templates and other issues, and it STILL won't print centering rings with the inner circle on them-- so basically it prints bulkheads... :p

Now, in all fairness, Tim HAS helped me with it and answered my questions rather quickly and efficiently, and I'll DEFINITELY give him credit for that! BUT, OTOH, some of his answers are a bit less than helpful at times... when I was having issues with RS on Vista, his recommendation was, "well, yeah, RS has a lot of problems with Vista-- that's why you should have bought a Mac." :mad: Sorry but that's not helpful and rather insulting, actually...

At any rate, that's why I chose NOT to bother buying the upgrade to RS9... I didn't see spending the money on the upgrade when the version I have has problems... I don't REGRET buying RS, but I think they have enough of my money for how glitchy and unstable and tempermental the product can be.

I for one wish they'd concentrate more efforts on debugging the product instead of adding more bells and whistles and nernies to it... that would go a LONG way... :)

All IMHO... Later! OL JR :)

Last edited:
Yes, Windows 7 would cure most, if not all of the quirky dysfunctions. Apogee even said this would help.

The rocketeer that has no problems with Vista/ Rocksim Ver.9 ...Has he designed and simed then launched any real rockets? Great fun in the 2d mode to launch and plop various birds & motors. Rocksim has a disclaimer that it is just a sim.

The quirky dysfunctions....before the up date , moving off the slider in 2D mode made the program quit, no more...GOOD! To launch in 2D flight mode with your rocket pictured on the screen...Just get a black box that launches? Sometimes" program error", and Rocksim shuts down. Mass overide has been used on several of my rockets resulted in zippering recoveries. Most recent zipper was my 4" LOC V2 on a H180 at 10 sec. delay. A 5 sec was the correct choice. Seems Rocksim delay predictions could possibly be a bit generous. Having trouble sizing graticule's on fin design templates. No Sky Angle chutes there are all other types. Still gives me a window "Cannot find data" between choices of various rocket designs/motors and parts, have to click twice. Possibly left over from the first loading of the software? Tried to delete the program using the delete function within Rocksim, it did not work. Used the windows "remove program", it did not work either. Data stuck in the registry from an earlier Ver.9 and do not know how to remove it.

Generally I am very gun shy of products that do not just do it right....from the get go. I purchased this product as a way to fly safe and know what motor what delay CP/ CG. I guess its an estimation. The design part works well. And Apogee has agreed that some of the issues are in the program, good/honest/forthright and most commendable of them! I suspect Microsoft operating Sys. partially at fault. As a few other applications I transferred from the old computer are glitchy as well. No viruses, HD/ram, other Apps .are ok.....

The quickest way to be disappointed in this world, is to live with expectations. Dan

A possible solution for running Rocksim on Vista Home Premium....

Right click on the Rocksim icon. Left click on properties.
Left click on the file folder compatibility. Check mark, run this program in compatibility mode. Left click on the drop down menu. Left click on Windows XP (service pack 2). Click on OK....then reboot and see how the program responds....Rocksim seems to work better for me.

Back