rocksim questions for someone who feels like a blond with it

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Reaction score
ok so I now have rock sim 7 thanks to a friend who did not like it and offered it to me. I have been playing with it alot and am learning slowly but i'm so confused on a number of things. I know I will get 8.0 sooner or later but I want to learn on this one.

1. how do I update to the newest 7. bla bla build

2. how do I make the decals

3. Where can I download parts information when the information it currently has comes up with errors.

4. can the online vedios be downloaded I haven't receved a responce from apogee yet about it.

5. Why is it when I use an older rocksim file that I downloaded the program crashes.

6. how do I make launch lug standoffs

7. Is their a means to print out photos of the nose cones

8. are their database updates for the parts?

9. am I just dumb and its all infront of me?

ok so I now have rock sim 7 thanks to a friend who did not like it and offered it to me. I have been playing with it alot and am learning slowly but i'm so confused on a number of things. I know I will get 8.0 sooner or later but I want to learn on this one.

1. how do I update to the newest 7. bla bla build

Apogee used to have update files on their website. Since they've moved on to version 8 they may not have the old files available anymore. It looks like 7.04 was the highest version released. An email to them might get you the latest patch to V7.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim_history.asp
2. how do I make the decals
decals that are on models within RockSim are graphics files (normally either bmp, gif or jpg) The process for how to do that should be here:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/newsletter123.pdf
I don't know if there is a process for RockSim to print out decals from rockets.

3. Where can I download parts information when the information it currently has comes up with errors.

You can correct the parts database that you have loaded by hand or you can download a good database of parts from ERRM (also, most kits are listed there as well):
https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim_library.shtml
4. can the online vedios be downloaded I haven't receved a responce from apogee yet about it.
I've never seen it done (RockSimv6/v7/v8) but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
5. Why is it when I use an older rocksim file that I downloaded the program crashes.
RockSim v7 and v8 use a different file structure than some of the older versions of RockSim. V7 should be able to handle any file from v6 or v7.
6. how do I make launch lug standoffs
I don't know. Someone more versed in RockSim might be able to tell you how. I just tried a few ideas I had and none of them worked.
7. Is their a means to print out photos of the nose cones
You can print out a 3D version of the entire rocket but not just the nosecone.
File - Export - 3D Image
8. are their database updates for the parts?
The link from question #3 has a lot of updates for the parts database. Some manufacturers might provide updates for their parts as well if you ask.
9. am I just dumb and its all infront of me?

Obviously you're not dumb. For someone who has never used a program before, you asked very good questions.

-Aaron

Apogee used to have update files on their website. Since they've moved on to version 8 they may not have the old files available anymore. It looks like 7.04 was the highest version released. An email to them might get you the latest patch to V7.

Unfortunately, I can't help on this one. We no longer support version 7, even to legitimate owners of the program. It gets too expensive to keep things current when Microsoft keeps issuing new viruses.

decals that are on models within RockSim are graphics files (normally either bmp, gif or jpg) The process for how to do that should be here:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/newsletter123.pdf

It is much easier to place decals in version 8 than 7. You have to open up the rocksimsettings.dat file and do some manual editing to even turn the feature on in version 7.

>>6. how do I make launch lug standoffs

I model them as short custom fins.

Back