Rocket Search Method

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
I made a short video on how to use a navigation app such as Spyglass, to help you search for your rocket when you lost sight of it on the ground and it is not equipped with a tracker.

I got tired of how difficult and time consuming it was to find my rockets when they landed in a corn field or tall brush. I know this would help other people at my prefecture as well.

The video (and method) is nothing fancy, but I hope it helps someone.

Rocket Search Method

Thanks for sharing.

I've thought about using a compass to help with rocket rocovery, but have wondered what I should do when I have to go around something or otherwise veer off course. Yes, I can use the compass the get the proper bearing again, but I'd likely be parallel to the path I should be taking. This app seems to address this issue.

EDIT: Won't work with my phone it seems, though. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing.

I've thought about using a compass to help with rocket rocovery, but have wondered what I should do when I have to go around something or otherwise veer off course. Yes, I can use the compass the get the proper bearing again, but I'd likely be parallel to the path I should be taking. This app seems to address this issue.

What phone are you using?

Thanks for sharing.

If you have to go around an obstacle, like a river, then pick a landmark on the other side of the river to use as a reference once you get around the obstacle. Go around the obstacle and go to that reference point. Then resume following your compass course.

If memory serves, I learned a lot from this https://a.co/d/gMv7fny book. An Amazon search for “land navigation handbook” will turn up others.

and you might enjoy the sport of orienteering which is a cross-country race to find targets marked on a map. There’s a ham radio version of this called fox hunting where the goal is to find a hidden radio transmitter. Amateur radio clubs hold these events regularly and they can be a valuable resource for learning to locate model rockets with transmitters. You might even find some hams interested in coming to launches specifically to help find rockets.

I made a short video on how to use a navigation app such as Spyglass, to help you search for your rocket when you lost sight of it on the ground and it is not equipped with a tracker.

I got tired of how difficult and time consuming it was to find my rockets when they landed in a corn field or tall brush. I know this would help other people at my prefecture as well.

The video (and method) is nothing fancy, but I hope it helps someone.

Rocket Search Method

Thanks for the tip on the apps! Two years ago, I was looking for the exact same thing - an app that can emulate the "Sight N Go" feature of Garmin GPS units. I found some fiddly work arounds, but Spyglass looks cleaner. I will try it. Lots of good info in this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/garmin-sight-n-go-feature-in-a-phone-app.168209/

It seems like the instructions are a bit convoluted but if one has the time to learn them before they go fly it might work. Me? I like the Sight N' Go feature on a couple of my Garmin hand held GPS units I have. Set the handheld unit to Sight N' Go, sight the descending rocket with the two marks on the unit just before it lands, push the lock button and follow the course line. No setting "this" or setting "that". So much easier.
Then again, for 5 bucks if one wants to practice using the Spyglass system at home, not much to lose as opposed to buying a Sight N' Go capable GPS which will cost a lot more. I think I'll look into it as it would be nice to have a phone app that works like Sight N' Go. Though I think Sight N' Go is much easier to use under the stress of trying to sight and find one's rocket. If one doesn't have a Garmin Sight N' Go capable handheld GPS, would be the cheaper proposition and worth the learning curve with one on a limited budget. Kurt

It seems like the instructions are a bit convoluted but if one has the time to learn them before they go fly it might work. Me? I like the Sight N' Go feature on a couple of my Garmin hand held GPS units I have. Set the handheld unit to Sight N' Go, sight the descending rocket with the two marks on the unit just before it lands, push the lock button and follow the course line. No setting "this" or setting "that". So much easier.
Then again, for 5 bucks if one wants to practice using the Spyglass system at home, not much to lose as opposed to buying a Sight N' Go capable GPS which will cost a lot more. I think I'll look into it as it would be nice to have a phone app that works like Sight N' Go. Though I think Sight N' Go is much easier to use under the stress of trying to sight and find one's rocket. If one doesn't have a Garmin Sight N' Go capable handheld GPS, would be the cheaper proposition and worth the learning curve with one on a limited budget. Kurt
If you find a $5 phone app that does something equivalent to sight and go with an easier method than Spyglass - like a one button method - please post. I’d love to check it out.

I just don’t want to have to charge, pack, carry, (and buy) one more electronic device.

I already purchased Spyglass... although the process does look a bit convoluted, I suspect that once you get the hang of it it's fine. Maybe not exactly optimized for what we want to do, but good enough for $5.99.

I paid $0.99 to unlock the features in the Pro version.

I am changing my tune. I don't like this app. Setting your current position and a bearing is easy enough. However, the compass display sucks, especially in sunlight. It is way too small and busy with all kinds of dials and icons. I tried turning some off with little relief. I couldn't visualize a line between my start marker and the bearing marker, which is the most important thing.

Maybe I am missing something, or I need to read the Help more thoroughly.

I paid $0.99 to unlock the features in the Pro version.

I am changing my tune. I don't like this app. Setting your current position and a bearing is easy enough. However, the compass display sucks, especially in sunlight. It is way too small and busy with all kinds of dials and icons. I tried turning some off with little relief. I couldn't visualize a line between my start marker and the bearing marker, which is the most important thing.

Maybe I am missing something, or I need to read the Help more thoroughly.

I haven't had a problem reading the screen, even in full sun light - as long as I don't have my sunglasses on.

Small and busy? Yes I agree, but I'm not really paying any attention to anything on the screen except:
  • My Bearing pointer (large)
  • My Current/Starting Location pointer (smaller)
  • The Elevation/Pitch indicator - this line is what I use as a reference to line the two pointers up.
To stay on course, I'm trying to keep the bearing pointer on the top of the elevation line, while keeping my starting location pointer at the bottom of the elevation line - keeping both pointers lined up with the elevation/pitch line. At that point I don't care about the heading, degrees, etc., etc.

As I mentioned in the video, you're not trying to keep the pointers lined up perfectly. You'll go nuts chasing the pointers around. Just keep them somewhat lined up.

My only intent was to find a method that was better than what I was using. Something better than, "I think it landed over that way."

1692219873702.png
When all is said and done, you gotta' do what works best for you, and this way may not be for everyone.

Back