Rocket Launching in the Heat--Car and Trunk Tips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Early Morning launch today, temp was only 75 (to start, at 0800), but 95% Humidity.

In the shade, didn't notice it at all, but step out into the sun and was like a sauna.

Moved the car to face directly into the sun, put the Sun Shades up. Then drop the windows a bit. Then raise the trunk, and set up behind the car. Worked well for me today, also worked well at NSL 2019. ROC definitely Rocked!

CarShadeBack.jpgCarShadeFront.jpg

I bought a used canopy for $50. The wife was skeptical but after seeing how easy it is to put up and tear down, she’s sold.

I use a large beach umbrella stuck into a patio umbrella stand.

Very compact and sets up and takes down very quickly.

The main things to remember to take with you when it is hot are ... shade, sunscreen, and water!

A hat is a very effective source of shade. It is especially important if you are of the age where your hair has begun a strategic retreat.

The heat at some of our launches in Florida can be extreme. Rockets left laying in the sun have been known to warp. Rockets clear-coated with acrylic floor polish will stick to your hands. Cameras, cell phones, or tablets will sometimes shut down due to the heat. Photos can show shimmers of heat reminiscent of a desert scene in a movie. Any patch of unprotected skin (wear a hat!) will acquire a painful burn. It sometimes takes me a day to recover from exposure to the sun and heat.

We do it because it is fun!

If cameras and phones will shut down, what about altimeters?

I haven't heard of an issue with them. Cell phones and tablets have sensors and software for detecting overheating conditions. I don't think any altimeters do.

But, I recall a warning about avoiding direct sunlight hitting the altimeter's sensors. But that's not usually an issue.

My main issue has been with a rocket body warping while on the rail waiting for launch. It was a 2.5 m long 54mm QT body. The direct sunlight on one side caused it to warp enough for the linear lugs to display more friction and the forward end to noticeably bow in to the rail.

My main issue has been with a rocket body warping while on the rail waiting for launch. It was a 2.5 m long 54mm QT body. The direct sunlight on one side caused it to warp enough for the linear lugs to display more friction and the forward end to noticeably bow in to the rail.
How long did it have to sit there waiting to launch?

How long did it have to sit there waiting to launch?
From memory it was at least 15-20 mins on the rail before launch on a particularly hot and sunny March (early Autumn here) afternoon. Normally I don't pad up and leave it so long, but on that day we were waiting for a delayed regional airline flight to pass over our launch area before launching.

Back