Rocket candy help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NFPA 1127 (2013 edition) https://www.nfpa.org/catalog/services/onlinepreview/online_preview_document.asp?id=112713# requires that motors be used by certified users. Guess how certifies users in America? It's NAR & TRA. I've got the NFPA 1127 from 1995 and it's the exact same. It states that in order to "operate or fly high powered rockets" you must be a certified user. Sure, some states might not be NFPA states, but I bet there aren't many.

Just to pour more gas on the fire, as I read it NFPA1127 does not allow research motors at all........ 4.5.1
does it? :madnote:

Correct. TRA Research activity is amateur rocketry not permitted under NFPA 1127. It does not mean it's not legal. It just means there's a different set of rules. NFPA 1127 is the insurance industry safety recommendations for High Power Rocketry, and if you are conducting High Power Rocketry is the basis for laws regulating High Power Rocketry in over 30 states, but as TRA Research activity is not High Power Rocketry by NFPA 1127 definition, state laws modeled after it do not apply. Amateur rocketry activities must comply with all local, state and federal regulations concerning amateur rocketry, and that's it. TRA Research Policy apparently does not violate any regulations, so with the approval of the FAA, it is permissible. What really allows Research Activity to occur is the TRA insurance policy that protects the landowner, the flier, and the club in the event of an accident. It is a powerful tool. Individuals are not likely to have the insurance coverage so unless they have access to large tracks of privately owned land, they most likely will have difficulty conducting Research activities on their own on public land.

Read the forum rules. We arn't allowed to talk much about EX rocketry.

A 'store bought' ignition system give you the advantage to call of the ignition at any point. Once a fuse is lit, it's lit. Where are you located? I bet we could find a club near you.

For altitude estimations, download Openrocket.

-Alex

I wanted to Download that earlier today, and my Computer won't let me. It says it's downloading, then after a minute or whatever it says it takes, it says that the Dowload failed. Anyone here know what I need to do to make it work? Is it my Anti-Virus AVG making it not work? The other day. I was trying to Download something similar, and it too failed to downlod. I'm not very Computer literate.
To the OP, at least your learning by doing, but even I, who have dabbled in the types of things we are not supposed to discuss here, am older and wiser now. Now that I'm getting back into Rocketry, I intend to join a Club I found up in Essex Junction, VT. I found it by just going to the NAR Website. They have a Link on their Homepage that says, "Find A Club Near You". You just find your State, and it tells you where they are.
My State is one of the smallest, so there is only 1 Club.
Anyhow, go to the NAR Site and find a club.
I used to make stuff that flew, but it's a wonder I still have all my Fingers and my Life. After three years in the Army and fighting in Iraq, I value Life much more today than when I was "young and dumb", as they say.

Now that I'm getting back into Rocketry, I intend to join a Club I found up in Essex Junction, VT. I found it by just going to the NAR Website. They have a Link on their Homepage that says, "Find A Club Near You". You just find your State, and it tells you where they are.
My State is one of the smallest, so there is only 1 Club.

Just a heads up - the CRMRC is in a transitional phase right now. They do not have a HP field at this time due to land ownership change. Right now they are working on it but there is no indication when they might be able to use it or an alternate anytime soon. Send them an email and I am sure they will add you to the mailing list. I suspect someone from there will chime in and correct me if I am mistaken on the status.

I know it is a long drive but if you can swing a trip to Maine for MMMSC I think you would enjoy it. I admit that it is a heck of a drive from VT but I think that it is the closest HP launch you will have for a while.

So guys, it's been a while but I pulled the only video I got of my original rocket. I launched on a overcast day with no parachute charge. Rocket was lost in the clouds, but I can tell it flew straight and fast as hell. https://youtube.com/shorts/XfAXYs7me9Q?feature=share
Mrgordyp, back relighting an 8-year-old thread, is it? Well, welcome. Here you will locate all the information imaginable on rocket design, except for homemade motors. There are other forums that discuss this much more openly, for nearly 2 decades, without worry of legal repercussions, ordinate or inordinate. I'm a hybrid finned model rocketeer and fireworker, for example, and here any discussion of homemade propellants is considered "research" and frowned upon. Unless you meet some stringent qualifications like being a US citizen (ridiculous in my view) to gain entry to the Ex forum. Here are a great bunch of folks, but there is a clear dichotomy between model rocketeers and pyrotechnicians, of which I am both. In stark contrast to the rocketeer mentality that all homemade rocket motors fall under fed/FAA regulation as EX, aka high-power rocketry, that is in direct contradiction with ATF and NFPA views, which allow, with reasonable restrictions and licensing requirements, amateur fireworkers who happen to specialize in rockets the ability to practice their hobby without worry. For example, without a BATFE (ATF) User or Manufacturer license, you can still (local regulations notwithstanding) go out someplace remote/aka safe, drop the tailgate of your truck, hand-ram as many BP motors as your heart desires (with BP that you screen-mixed on site), and launch to your heart's delight. Yes, that is still legal. And it doesn't matter if it's attached to a stick or stuffed into a finned rocket. You need to be cognizant of local airways (I'm a licensed pilot, too), not ever pose a safety hazard to aerial traffic, and are limited in AGL altitude of your rockets before FAA notice is needed. All fireworkers need to know these regs. Do not ever, without an appropriate license, transport comps/motors either to or from or between a launch site, lest you feel the wrath of not just the ATF, but mostly the DOT. An ATF User Permit is not hard to obtain, but a Manufacturer permit requires a few reasonable hoops, like demonstrating a safe storage magazine (not hard, but not gonna happen if you live in the city...it can be on a friend's property). There are a LOT of sugar rocketeers around. I'm not one. Yet. I build my own BP motors that eclipse Estes' expensive motors for a fraction of the price. And fire them in finned rockets, some kits, some from scratch. With delay and ejection. Like, uh, model rockets. But I do have several kilos of sorbitol that I intend to play with in the future. For hobbyist rocket motors. Legal. Good intentions. Open about it.

The folks here are really great, helpful, and know a lot of info that anybody in rocketry would find useful. But to think that sugar rockets or propellant discussion is some top-secret hidden knowledge is the epitome of naivety. The reason that the pyro forums have not been shut down is not because it's a fine place for evil-doers and terrorists to learn the basics, but instead because it makes it publicly clear that overtly dangerous bs is simply not accommodated. You don't achieve this by making an "EX" forum that perhaps 1% of your followers can enter, which to me means that any info I'd get from there would be severely limited anyways--I much enjoy TRF, but the annoying US citizen requirement for joining their mystical EX forum is enough for me not to want to. Ping me and I'll direct you to places you can openly and thoughtfully discuss propellants, new and established, and save you some headaches standardizing your sugar motors. And yes, all of these websites are monitored by the guv, this one included, and the Patriot Act does little besides erode your personal privacy.

Back