Rest In Peace Queen Elizabeth II, 96

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During my time in the RAF I was honoured to be invited to one of her garden parties at Buckingham Palace. My wife and I joined a few hundred people in the garden where her staff had prepared afternoon tea. About 30 minutes into the party the Queen, Prince Philip and other members of her family joined in. Equerries shepherded us into two lines and the family walked down between them, chatting to people all the way. We didn’t get the opportunity to talk to her, but we were only a few feet away and able to listen in on other conversations. Afterwards we had a walk around her (amazing) garden before leaving through the front entrance. It was a magical afternoon.

One thing that caught me totally off guard is that the National Anthem for the UK is now going to be different. For us, it would take a pretty major change for our National Anthem to change, but it seems to me that the UK has had a major change today that impacts individuals very differently than we feel for the passing of a major political figure here at home.
The changes to the National Anthem are minor. Change ‘queen’ to ‘king‘ and change the gender of other words where appropriate. We’ll cope!

In our constitution the monarch is above politics. The Queen has represented the national interest and ordinary people in a way that politicians can’t. Throughout her reign she travelled a lot and met ordinary people, placing great emphasis on listening to their stories. She became a sort of national grandmother, greatly loved and respected, and always there in times of joy or crisis. The national grief is genuine and deep.

It will be interesting to see how this relationship evolves under our new King.

We now have to change all our money and stamps.. just to name a few things we will see..

And I'm curious as to her will. I assume she had one.. wonder if there is anything interesting, or odd, or just funny in it..

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/what-h...-are-the-changes-canadians-will-see-1.6060378
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/is-pri...ow-after-queen-elizabeth-ii-s-death-1.6060452

When I visited Canada as a kid with my family in the 70s, I collected some coins that featured Elizabeth as a young Queen. When I visited again around 10 years ago, I noticed that her age had been updated. That was interesting to me. So, now what? Canada will start issuing currency with Charles? My guess is you aren’t going to have to update the design as he gets older…

When I visited Canada as a kid with my family in the 70s, I collected some coins that featured Elizabeth as a young Queen. When I visited again around 10 years ago, I noticed that her age had been updated. That was interesting to me. So, now what? Canada will start issuing currency with Charles? My guess is you aren’t going to have to update the design as he gets older…
Same in the UK. Before decimalisation in 1971 her head was a very young image. The new decimal coins have changed a few times as she aged. The Royal Mint, about 20 miles from where I live, probably has an approved design for coinage with King Charles’ head on it. I wonder when the first coins will enter circulation.

The Queen will be remembered for future generations to come due to the length of her time as Queen as well as some of the things that happened that effected her lifetime.
I know WWII effected her life, and so did the Grandsons. And her husband no doubt was a major item that effected her.
The fire at the Castle was another one I know brought some problems and was solved by things that hadn't occurred before.
I'm sure there many more things that effected here life and we may never know some of the more personal things.
But through all these things that may have staggered a lesser woman, she powered through and stayed strong. Like nothing could phase her.
A Great Lady and a Legend in her own time.
I know she will not be forgotten easily, in any part of the World.

Same in the UK. Before decimalisation in 1971 her head was a very young image. The new decimal coins have changed a few times as she aged. The Royal Mint, about 20 miles from where I live, probably has an approved design for coinage with King Charles’ head on it. I wonder when the first coins will enter circulation.

Coinage and notes could change from the start of 2023, which was mentioned on the local news (but it was a UK news report). they also stated that King Charles' head will face the opposite direction on his coins, i.e. we will see the left side of his face, which is apparently an historic/ancient protocol.

After the Sept 11 attacks Queen Elizabeth requested the Star Spangled Banner be played during the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.

Our flags are at half staff until her interment.

It's interesting how things impact us in different ways. I was actually quite surprised how emotional it was for me hearing the news of the Queens passing. I don't have any extraordinary connection to the monarchy but have found over the years that when things happen within the Royal family, I do take an interest. Looking back, I find it funny that I have the same emotional reaction to things many British have regarding interlopers and what not.

I did spend time at RAF Cranwell teaching back in the 90's. I stayed in York House while there and 23 years later, my then Lt (USAF) daughter was TDY there and stayed in York House as well. One of my prized possessions is a photograph of her standing in front of the picture of my group taken in the York House garden that hangs on the wall there.

God bless the Royal Family and long live King Charles III.

It's interesting how things impact us in different ways. I was actually quite surprised how emotional it was for me hearing the news of the Queens passing. I don't have any extraordinary connection to the monarchy but have found over the years that when things happen within the Royal family, I do take an interest. Looking back, I find it funny that I have the same emotional reaction to things many British have regarding interlopers and what not.

I did spend time at RAF Cranwell teaching back in the 90's. I stayed in York House while there and 23 years later, my then Lt (USAF) daughter was TDY there and stayed in York House as well. One of my prized possessions is a photograph of her standing in front of the picture of my group taken in the York House garden that hangs on the wall there.

Its going to take some time to get used to a King instead of Queen. While Elizabeth was pretty much universally respected, there will be calls from many of the Commonwealth countries to remove the monarchy portion from their government with the change in the Head of State. As a Canuck, I say keep the tradition going; its pretty harmless and its part of our identity.

Last edited:

I went through Cranwell in 1980, IOT then ‘Sleaford Tech’ on the Engineering Officers course. I have many happy memories of the place. Its a small world!

I was on vacation last week when all of this happened. We were getting ready for a day out doing things and I checked the BBC that morning and saw an update about the Queen's "health concerns." I left for the day thinking "that is a pretty strange announcement" and soon forgot all about it. We arrived back that evening and I opened up the BBC to see "Queen Elizabeth II has died." I spent the rest of the evening watching clips and reading BBC articles. Though she was 96, it still took me completely by surprise, especially only a few days after she met Liz Truss in Balmoral. It took me the entire next day to even get used to the whole idea. The words "King Charles III" still sound a little strange given the quick succession of events, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Back