Resources for information on APCP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egoldee

Reaction score
I am doing a project on the chemistry of APCP for AP chem research project.

I am looking for books, websites or any other resources.

Most of the information I have found online is not focused on the chemistry and more on how to make it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am doing a project on the chemistry of APCP for AP chem research project.

I am looking for books, websites or any other resources.

Most of the information I have found online is not focused on the chemistry and more on how to make it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
paging @prfesser,...he literally wrote a book on it...so he probably knows a bit about the chemisty or some resources.

There is a chapter on chemicals and variables, one on propellants and polymers, and one on the combustion process. Keep in mind that some of the information is (greatly?) simplified vs the professional literature. The book was written with the average amateur in mind.

Will the project involve some laboratory work, or is it a literature-based term paper or something like that?

There is a chapter on chemicals and variables, one on propellants and polymers, and one on the combustion process. Keep in mind that some of the information is (greatly?) simplified vs the professional literature. The book was written with the average amateur in mind.

Will the project involve some laboratory work, or is it a literature-based term paper or something like that?
Thanks, I will look at the book it seems to have a lot more information than I have seen so far.

The project is research and a presentation with no lab work. It is mostly theory as they want us to relate the topic to at least 3 of the 9 units.

Unit 1: Atomic Structure and Properties
Unit 2: Molecular and Ionic Compound Structure and Properties
Unit 3: Intermolecular Forces and Properties
Unit 4: Chemical Reactions
Unit 5: Kinetics
Unit 6: Thermodynamics
Unit 7: Equilibrium
Unit 8: Acids and Bases
Unit 9: Applications of Thermodynamics

Excellent! I think you'll find some useful information in the book. Here's a freebie that jogged my memory today: the most common bonding agents in APCP are organic bases, analogous to ammonia, but with -OH groups somewhere on the carbon chains. The -OHs bond to the curing agent, and the nitrogen bonds to the AP particle by kicking out gaseous ammonia. As NH3 is a gas, it leaves and can't go back in and re-displace the bonding agent.

Quiz next week. ;)

And here I thought that after pouring a motor that pee smell was just overexcitement.

First Time No GIF by Tate McRae

And here I thought that after pouring a motor that pee smell was just overexcitement.
Sometimes it probably is. Depends on the source of the excitement. First-timers, or propellant hardening a little too fast may be legitimate reasons. Propellant hardening WAY too fast or changing color and texture during mixing...definitely legitimate reasons. DAMHIKT
:)

Latest posts

Back