Required equipment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Figuring I’ve procrastinated on buying MicroMaxx stuff long enough, I purchased a Doubles kit from @tjkopena Fliskits’ website, along with MicroMaxx II motors and igniters from AeroTech and MMX-NE motors from Jonrocket.

Do I need any other new equipment to fly this rocket, specifically in terms of launch rods or pads or anything like that? I am a member of DART, the local low-power club that provides controllers and pads, with rods as small as 1/8 inch for standard Estes-size rockets, and I am suitably equipped to fly those.

Apologies once again for the noobiness, it’s just that the quantum realm of hobby rocketry is a strange place to me.

Last edited:
Figuring I’ve procrastinated on buying MicroMaxx stuff long enough, I purchased a Doubles kit from @tjkopena Fliskits’ website, along with MMX motors and igniters from AeroTech and MMX-NE motors from Jonrocket.

Do I need any other new equipment to fly this rocket, specifically in terms of launch rods or pads or anything like that? I am a member of DART, the local low-power club that provides controllers and pads, with rods as small as 1/8 inch for standard Estes-size rockets, and I am suitably equipped to fly those.

Apologies once again for the noobiness, it’s just that the quantum realm of hobby rocketry is a strange place to me.
The launch rod for MX rockets is smaller than 1/8".
I believe it's .055".
Erockets has a MX rod set that piggybacks onto a standard 1/8" rod:
https://www.erockets.biz/erockets-micro-maxx-launch-rod-and-holder-erk-9080/And Rocketship Games also has one:
https://rocketshipgames.com/store/#...-Rod-Adapter-v2/p/425278489/category=92416253I prefer the Rocketship games one, it is adjustable for different size (diameters) of MX rockets.
You can use the same controller as regular low power rockets.

@kuririn has good advice. Either of these adapters just slide over a regular 1/8 inch rod....so you can bring the whole assembly to the model pads at a club launch.

I made my own adapter using the same adjustability-for-diameter approach the Quest pad uses... I'll have to take a picture and post it tomorrow — if I remember :)

I used 1/16 inch music wire for the rod on my adapter.

The MMX-NE motors don't work very well at lighting sustainers. To give yourself the best odds of succeeding, scrape out the delay from the NE motor if you can. I have attempted to fly a doubles five times and have had only one successful sustainer ignition. I've heard that this is also why eRockets has not come out with a two-stage micro maxx rocket.

The MMX-NE motors don't work very well at lighting sustainers. To give yourself the best odds of succeeding, scrape out the delay from the NE motor if you can. I have attempted to fly a doubles five times and have had only one successful sustainer ignition. I've heard that this is also why eRockets has not come out with a two-stage micro maxx rocket.
I did see that in the staging thread. I’m not sure how successful I’ll be with that, but we’ll see.

(See my signature)

Anything I should be on the lookout for in determining when I’ve gotten to the actual propellant? I imagine the material will look pretty similar.

I did see that in the staging thread. I’m not sure how successful I’ll be with that, but we’ll see.

(See my signature)

Anything I should be on the lookout for in determining when I’ve gotten to the actual propellant? I imagine the material will look pretty similar.
From what I can see, the delay is more gray and the actual propellant is more black.

For now I’ve decided to make this into a log of my MicroMaxx activity leading up to the first flight. The motors arrived today. I must have spent 10 minutes pacing around the house while holding one and saying to myself “they’re so small 🥹” like it was a premature newborn. I think I’ve got a screw starting to come loose.

After getting a hold of myself I started to dig into these with a more analytical mind. The package came with an AeroTech catalog and an invoice. I appreciate that these motors come in a resealable plastic bag instead of those stupid rip-open display packs that Estes puts theirs in.

The display card is copyright-dated to 2020 but the instructions have the 2001 revision of the NAR Safety Code instead of the current 2012 revision. I have no idea if that’s an indicator of when the motors were made, but that might explain why they’re only selling the remaining stock. Talk about slow movers.

I also notice that Quest designed their MMX rockets to break open instead of loading from the rear, at least according to the directions accompanying the motors. I’m curious to see what Fliskits cooked up for their Doubles kit.

It’s also interesting that the rocket apparently has to sit on top of the igniter instead of the nozzle being plugged up Estes-style. Not enough pressure to blow it off? Or just trying to be more efficient?

Perhaps the neatest thing is that the packaging contains more precise specifications than are available on ThrustCurve.

0E0317C9-118B-4D6A-B81D-1C0205DC75D1.jpeg

Last edited:
For now I’ve decided to make this into a log of my MicroMaxx activity leading up to the first flight. The motors arrived today. I must have spent 10 minutes pacing around the house while holding one and saying to myself “they’re so small 🥹” like it was a premature newborn. I think I’ve got a screw starting to come loose.
Oh well, you’re in good company….
I also notice that Quest designed their MMX rockets to break open instead of loading from the rear, at least according to the directions accompanying the motors. I’m curious to see what Fliskits cooked up for their Doubles kit.
Most of the other makers (FlisKits, ASP, Semroc, etc.) have you friction fit the motor in the good ol’ fashioned way. It only takes a tiny bit of tape as you would expect.
It’s also interesting that the rocket apparently has to sit on top of the igniter instead of the nozzle being plugged up Estes-style. Not enough pressure to blow it off? Or just trying to be more efficient?
It’s just that the nozzle is so tiny it’s really hard to hold the igniter in with anything as you would do with an Estes type. At least that’s what I’ve always thought.
Perhaps the neatest thing is that the packaging contains more precise specifications than are available on ThrustCurve.
That is nice.

Here is my homemade adapter. The white body is an old Quest BP motor (German-made A6-4) casing. The launch rod is a piece of 1/16th inch music wire with a little 3/8 inch or so dogleg bent near one end. This is stuck through a piece of aluminum tubing that is potted into the nozzle of the spent motor with some kind of glue (I don’t recall what — it’s been years). Glued on one side of the case is a piece of bamboo skewer which forms the post on which the igniter and the little cardboard tube holder is placed. The yellow tube is a piece of RC airplane pushrod jacket that allows the whole assembly to be slid over a regular 1/8 inch launch rod.

The dogleg in the launch rod lets you adjust the center distance between the igniter support and the launch lug to accommodate different diameter models from minimum diameter to things like the Fliskits Buckshot which is BT-5-based. The model pictured is the Semroc MMX Goblin, which is in between those sizes.

That’s a spent igniter, of course….and it looks like that masking tape needs replacing. It’s pretty dried out.

8F1F635D-B6BC-4936-9D30-BCEE2B0F7C42.jpegD6A4B5F2-6520-4550-A421-BAD8B29ACDAB.jpeg24C82784-93E2-48E2-B80B-2FA1DE457D2C.jpeg

Is there a practical way to make my own MMX igniters? The ones that came with my motors seem to have disappeared.

Estes igniters (both corn starch and the newer gray-pyrogen) have been ineffective in getting them lit since they don’t touch the propellant.

Is there a practical way to make my own MMX igniters? The ones that came with my motors seem to have disappeared.

Estes igniters (both corn starch and the newer gray-pyrogen) have been ineffective in getting them lit since they don’t touch the propellant.
I have taken to using regular eMatches to light BP motors. Works a treat. I just sit them in the nozzle. They don't have to be inserted into the motor. Have not had a misfire yet. Would that work with your MMX motors?

I have taken to using regular eMatches to light BP motors. Works a treat. I just sit them in the nozzle. They don't have to be inserted into the motor. Have not had a misfire yet. Would that work with your MMX motors?
Possibly. I’d have to talk to my club quartermaster about the system’s current draw but I’ll look into that. Thanks for the info!

The throat on a MMX motor is teeny tiny. I’ve used @kuririn ’s suggestion of bare nichrome. Worked for me.

Back