Red Solo Cup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Inspired by my neighbor Toby's song...

It's cheap. It's light. What got me started was discovering a piece of BT20 with a crushed end. It was only good for an engine mount after that. Hand-rolled a launch lug from typing paper around a dowel. Yellow glue to assemble paper parts, with an extra glob on the inside to help resist heat and ejection charge pressure. Glue for bulkhead to cup needs to be polyurathane (weight it until it sets up), contact cement, or silicon RTV. The glue has to have "peel resistance".

redsolocup1.jpg redsolocup2.jpg

It sims to a little over 260 feet on a C6-3. Motor mount is not shown in actual position in sim because OR puts the engine flush with the wrong end of tube.

View attachment Red Solo Cup.ork

awwwww. i was gonna do this when i got home! only with a double canted bt20 motor mount(like a deuce's wild). do you think this will need fins?

awwwww. i was gonna do this when i got home! only with a double canted bt20 motor mount(like a deuce's wild). do you think this will need fins?

Yes it will likely need fins as with canted motors will have to be further back unless you like the smell of torched plastic. Either fins or copious amounts of noseweight. I vote for fins pushed as far back as you can stand it. OR you could buy lots of red solo cups and make it like this:

424380_347215421984514_100000881769076_924384_1133352882_n.jpg

That actually flew quite well...

-Dave

Yes it will likely need fins as with canted motors will have to be further back unless you like the smell of torched plastic. Either fins or copious amounts of noseweight. I vote for fins pushed as far back as you can stand it. OR you could buy lots of red solo cups and make it like this:

424380_347215421984514_100000881769076_924384_1133352882_n.jpg

That actually flew quite well...

-Dave
:puke:

jk. it looks sweet
maybe just 3 stacked? and a mini as a nosecone? idk. maybe just one with tumble recovery. oh! or an ejecting motor mount with a streamer or parachute! that would make it more complicated. i like complicated

Last edited:
i bet my motor mount would fit right inside a mini red solo cup! i could stack minis! that will be sick!

btw, sorry to threadjack:bang:

I wonder what would happen, that is - how well would it fly, if you had *3* engines, canted in 2 axis? Not only spread out from the centerline, but skewed across the centerline, so that the engines would form a spiral. You'd have to run the launch lug down the centerline. Might be best to try this with a 14mm cluster first.

I wonder what would happen, that is - how well would it fly, if you had *3* engines, canted in 2 axis? Not only spread out from the centerline, but skewed across the centerline, so that the engines would form a spiral. You'd have to run the launch lug down the centerline. Might be best to try this with a 14mm cluster first.

I think im gonna go with DAllen's idea for now but when im finished(ive already started it),ill try your idea. that would be sweet with the swirling tripple smoke trails. if they would show up, but hey, its worth a try

first link doesnt work, but the second one does. it looks sweet. im doing mine with mini solo cups. and actually i looked and theyre not actually solo brand. theyre nonames.whatever. i dont care

No i didnt use any nose weight. I flew this rocket several times on 24mm F motors and it was awesome. Sadly i had a motor cato and ruined the rocket.

HazMat box is just a cardboard thats double walled and thicker than regular cardboard.

Danny

Back