Recovery for a Wildman 3X Andromeda

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I think about recovery harnesses, it occurred to me that most harness kits have one shorter than the other, and usually the shorter one has two loops sewn in, and the longer one has three. One will hook to the motor and av bay, the other to the av bay and the nose cone. My assumption is if the rocket goes up straight, apogee will indeed be at it's slowest speed, so I would guess the shorter side might be for the apogee/drogue deployment. To me it seems like I still need a loop for the drogue chute, or it would need to attach directly to the av bay along with the cord. Alternatively I can attach it anywhere along the cord by tying a loop into said cord.

Since the drogue should still let the rocket fall quickly, I can see a longer cord perhaps allowing less shock from the main opening. This longer cord has the third loop for the chute attachment, so all is well. Which brings me back to the drogue side- is there a rule of thumb for the drogue attachment? I have always thought to attach it 1/3 or so along the length of the shock cord, like the main, but seeing only a single 3 loop along with a 2 loop offered in these 'kits' now makes me think the av bay eye bolt might be a better location. Does any of this sound right? My lack of any significant dual deploy experience is showing...

Typically, the three loop cord is used for the drogue. Longer end (to middle loop) to booster, middle loop for drogue, shorter end (from middle loop) to bottom of AV Bay.

Second cord will be from top of AV Bay to Nosecone. Chute would also attach to nose.

In case of doubt, contact Teddy at OneBadHawk for the greatest harnesses and service!
https://onebadhawk.com/index.html

Typically, the three loop cord is used for the drogue. Longer end (to middle loop) to booster, middle loop for drogue, shorter end (from middle loop) to bottom of AV Bay.

Second cord will be from top of AV Bay to Nosecone. Chute would also attach to nose.

In case of doubt, contact Teddy at OneBadHawk for the greatest harnesses and service!
https://onebadhawk.com/index.html
Thanks Les, I overthought it- my first thought was longer should be drogue, then convinced myself otherwise.

Back