Recovering an SD card

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think this is rocketry related, but I know you folks are tech savvy so I'm going to ask.

I have a 32Gb SD card that was used in a Samsung Android phone. I put it into a SanDisk SD adapeter and into my computer. It shows all the folders and files that are on the disk, and when I delete those, they seem to go away. When I remove the disk from the computer and insert it again, they are all back. It's like it's all write protected, but Win11 doesn't see it as write protected. I can't format it, delete files or write new files to it.

Does anyone know how I can recover the SD card so I can use it on a Win11 machine?

If you are just trying to wipe the card without recovering any files from it, use the disk management tool available under computer management to completely wipe it. I recommend against FAT32 as the disk format, use NTFS as 32GB might be too big for FAT32.

If you are just trying to wipe the card without recovering any files from it, use the disk management tool available under computer management to completely wipe it. I recommend against FAT32 as the disk format, use NTFS as 32GB might be too big for FAT32.
I tried that, but it didn't work. Windows couldn't reformat the drive. It had an error and after that the drive couldn't be accesses at all. When I put it in, it said I need to format the drive, but every time I tried that, it through an error.

The second SD card, I tried to just delete the files instead of doing a format, but that seems to work until I remove the card and reinsert it, then all all the original files are still there. If I delete all the files and copy new files to it, it seems to work, until it's removed and inserted back into the machine and then all the original files are back and none of the new files are there.

I tried that, but it didn't work. Windows couldn't reformat the drive. It had an error and after that the drive couldn't be accesses at all. When I put it in, it said I need to format the drive, but every time I tried that, it through an error.

The second SD card, I tried to just delete the files instead of doing a format, but that seems to work until I remove the card and reinsert it, then all all the original files are still there. If I delete all the files and copy new files to it, it seems to work, until it's removed and inserted back into the machine and then all the original files are back and none of the new files are there.
Are you going to the system tray and clicking to “eject the SD card” (or whatever the actual text says) before removing it? Until then some computers don’t actually write to the card.

Does your SD card or adapter have a write protect switch? If it is on you will get an error message. I tried once and found out to much crap to go through, easiest solution was to buy a new card. I have a Sandisk adapter also, protect switch is on the left hand side.

Last edited:
I have several SanDisk adapters and the Lock switch is not clearly marked on the left side. The slide switch should be towards the adapter fingers to be unlocked.

The lock switch is not in the lock position. The PC tells me it is write protected if I put the switch in the lock position. I do use Eject before taking the card out.
I can delete all the files, write new files to the disk etc. After it's ejected and installed again, it's right back to what was on it originally. All the files I deleted are back and none of the files I wrote to the card are there. It's like it's write protected, but the PC doesn't recognize that.

When it try to format the card, it tells me Windows can't format it, there is an error, but it doesn't say what the error is. When I "Check" the disk, it says there are errors on the disk and I should repair it. When I try to repair it, I get an error that says Windows can't repair the disk. If I try to format the disk, I get and error that says Windows can't format the disk.

I threw away the first SD card that came out of the phone. I tried to format that, and it started the format, got 98% done and had an error that said Windows can't format the disk. After that, every time it was put into the computer I got a notice that the disk need to be formatted. When I tried to format, it gives and error that says Windows can't format the disk.

I'm at a loss on what to do to recover the disk. I believe there is something done to the disk by the phone that Win11 can't bypass or correct.

This is the part where I usually would recommend trying on a different computer, but I realize that not every household has access to more than one.

Another approach that is sometimes successful is if you have a camera handy -- often they have the ability to completely reformat an SD card buried in some menu or other.

This is the part where I usually would recommend trying on a different computer, but I realize that not every household has access to more than one.

Another approach that is sometimes successful is if you have a camera handy -- often they have the ability to completely reformat an SD card buried in some menu or other.
That sounds like something I need to try. Thanks...

Yes, in my house I have Windows, a Macintosh and a several Linux PC's but not everyone has that kind of set-up. I was originally going to suggest he try a Mac, but then I realized that some people are stuck with Microsoft errrr.... garbage.

I checked the SD card in my Samsung phone for digital write protect features, but found nothing. I can replicate what you are experiencing by setting the digital Read-only attribute flag in the SD card. Have you tried clearing this attribute?

I checked the SD card in my Samsung phone for digital write protect features, but found nothing. I can replicate what you are experiencing by setting the digital Read-only attribute flag in the SD card. Have you tried clearing this attribute?
Are you saying it needs to go back into a Samsung phone and that needs to be cleared then? Would it work in the phone with the Read-Only set? These were working fin in the phones and storing data there. They just don't work in a PC afterwards.

Thanks... this sounds like it might be the right track.

Phones and tablets often have various way to treat memory cards. Just storage, expansion of operating system, etc.

Some modes are readable by other devices, some are restricted, some aren't even readable since it uses system file allocation to speed access, or provide security.

Probably needs to go back into the phone it came out of, then have format changed to standard storage.

Phones and tablets often have various way to treat memory cards. Just storage, expansion of operating system, etc.

Some modes are readable by other devices, some are restricted, some aren't even readable since it uses system file allocation to speed access, or provide security.

Probably needs to go back into the phone it came out of, then have format changed to standard storage.
That is kind of the problem. The phones were shipped back when we got new phones and larger SD cards. These were 32G cards and I was hoping to reuse them in other devices. Doesn't look like that is possible now.

Are you saying it needs to go back into a Samsung phone and that needs to be cleared then? Would it work in the phone with the Read-Only set? These were working fin in the phones and storing data there. They just don't work in a PC afterwards.

Thanks... this sounds like it might be the right track.
To remove the read-only attribute from an SD card, you can use the Command Prompt.
Here are the steps:
  1. Open the Command Prompt in Administrator mode.
  2. Type diskpart and press Enter.
  3. Type list disk, and press Enter to execute the command. This will display all the drives available.
  4. Type select disk x, where x is the disk number of your SD card.
  5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter to clear the read-only attribute set on your card.
If you see “Disk attributes cleared successfully” appears in the window, then you’re all set

To remove the read-only attribute from an SD card, you can use the Command Prompt.
Here are the steps:
  1. Open the Command Prompt in Administrator mode.
  2. Type diskpart and press Enter.
  3. Type list disk, and press Enter to execute the command. This will display all the drives available.
  4. Type select disk x, where x is the disk number of your SD card.
  5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter to clear the read-only attribute set on your card.
If you see “Disk attributes cleared successfully” appears in the window, then you’re all set
I tried that and got the “Disk attributes cleared successfully” message. I then deleted a couple folders. Ejected the drive, re-inserted the drive, and the deleted folders showed up again. Doesn't look like that worked.

Jeff --

Have you tried a different microSD to SD adapter ?

I had a bad one once some time ago.

Does that adapter you mentioned in Post #1 work with a different microSD ?

Depending on whether what you're trying to recover is worth the effort, I've been able to use some of theses free tools in the past:

12 Useful Rescue and Recovery Tools for Linux

-- kjh

p.s. the tools are based on linux but most will work with any PeeCee by booting Linux instead of your Windows OS.

I think you have a computer Registry setting to protect removable disks. Do you have another computer to plug these SD cards into?
I have Windows 10 and it is different from Windows 11 with its HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directory.

I consider SD cards consumable. At some point the time spent trying to recover one exceeds the cost of a new one. I’ve had enough fail that I generally don’t bother with them if they are more than a couple of years old or have seen a lot of use. You can buy a three pack of new 32gb cards for about $20 on Amazon. Even if you get it working, how long can you trust it?

Just the way I look at these kinds of situations.

Tony

Might try restarting the computer with the card out. It may be holding on to it for some reason, then when you reinsert, it shows you what it thinks is there.

I'm not actually trying to recover anything on the disk. I want to delete everything and use it for something else.
The micro adapter is the only one I have and it's worked many other times in this computer. I should be getting a new SD card today from Amazon so I'll use that.

It is just strange that I can delete the files and folder on the SD card, the disk properties says it's empty, write more files to it, and after ejecting and installing again, its back to the original files and folders like I never did anything to it.

SD cards are a commodity... if one goes bad, you just get another one. I just bought three 3-packs of them from Staples for $20 each... uSD, with the adapter. One of the 3-packs was bad... that's another issue with commodity items...

Try a stand-alone SD card formatting program. Several Raspberry Pi tutorials I use recommend using this program anytime an SD card is formatted.

I use this anytime I format an SD card these days:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

That program has this description:
SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards have a “Protected Area” for SD Card security purposes. The SD Memory Card Formatter does not format the protected area in the SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards. The protected area shall be formatted by an appropriate PC application or SD host devices that provide SD security function.
The problem is the phones set the security in the protected area of the SD card so this program and the OS formatters won't work.

The lock switch is not in the lock position. The PC tells me it is write protected if I put the switch in the lock position. I do use Eject before taking the card out.
I can delete all the files, write new files to the disk etc. After it's ejected and installed again, it's right back to what was on it originally. All the files I deleted are back and none of the files I wrote to the card are there. It's like it's write protected, but the PC doesn't recognize that.

When it try to format the card, it tells me Windows can't format it, there is an error, but it doesn't say what the error is. When I "Check" the disk, it says there are errors on the disk and I should repair it. When I try to repair it, I get an error that says Windows can't repair the disk. If I try to format the disk, I get and error that says Windows can't format the disk.

I threw away the first SD card that came out of the phone. I tried to format that, and it started the format, got 98% done and had an error that said Windows can't format the disk. After that, every time it was put into the computer I got a notice that the disk need to be formatted. When I tried to format, it gives and error that says Windows can't format the disk.

I'm at a loss on what to do to recover the disk. I believe there is something done to the by the phone that Win11 can't bypass or correct.
The disk is dorked and give up on it. Always back up to another source over time so one can get back the data so you don't miss too much data.
Good luck,
Kurt

The disk is dorked and give up on it. Always back up to another source over time so one can get back the data so you don't miss too much data.
Good luck,
Kurt
The SD cards were from our old phones. Everything had been transferred to the new ones so nothing important on them. They hit the trash a few days ago.
It would have been a nice challenge to try to actually recover them, but frankly, I have better things to do.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Back