Recent Kit Assembly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericz

Reaction score
Watching glue dry on my Flea as well as motor mount assembly of DW. I planned on doing one at a time to develope better skills before moving on to the DW but...

After reading the instruction sheet of the DW, I started work almost immediately. The Instructions are very well written and illustrated so that it is 'virtually' impossible so err.

I'll get the Upper Rings on tonight or tomorrow.

The jist of this is: don't be intimidated by the skill level or the dual canted motor mount assemblly, this is an easy build.

I did add the baffle kit to mine and while assembling it I added a step or 2. The instructions tell you to glue the Upper and Lower Baffle Rings 'about' 1/8" from the end of the coupler. While dry fitting, I just could not make the ring sit evenly so I took a razor blade and cut 6 small, about 1/8" X 1/8" squares of balsa and glues them inside the baffle about 3/16" from end. The Baffle Rings are about 1/16". On the DW Baffle configuration it only takes a moment to look and space them accordingly so they don't block any holes on the Lower Baffle Ring.

The rings now sit to my satisfaction. Nerdy? Probably. Necessary? Probably not because Fiskits would've told you to do it. The instructions I've read tell you everything else you'd ever want to know about building and flying the model.

Great Kits!

Eric,

Thank you.

Concerning the baffle kits and the recessed rings. First, we do this as it makes for a stronger ring attachment, giving the baffle longer life. Also, it prevents a glue ridge along each end of the coupler which could interfer with installation.

What I have found to get the best fit on that recess is to cut a small square of 1/8" balsawood that fits inside the parimeter of the coupler. I set this on the table, set the ring on that then push the coupler onto the two of them. This will push the ring into the coupler exactly 1/8". If it goes in a little crooked, you can poke it from the other end with the back of a paint brush (even if the other ring is already in place.

jim

The easy answers!

This is why you are the Master and I am the student!

Ahhh, I'm not gonna sell myself short, only my second/third rocket build.

Dicn't take me long to learn, you gotta build at LEAST two at a time!

thx Jim!

Back