Rail button on a nosecone OK ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
So here`s the thing, I`m building the Madcow FG Honest John (4" BT /5.5" nosecone) and of course ,going a little silly with all the needed details ,but nothing too crazy :eyeroll:

I`m going to use 1515 rail buttons mounted on scale launch shoes like the real thing...or close (will make from aluminum etc)

OK, so the aft launch shoe location is simple enough ,but like the real rocket ,I wish to place the forward launch shoe where it belongs....at the base of the nosecone.

Would there be a problem mounting the 1515 button/launch shoe on/at the base of the NC ?

The rocket will not be DD ,but just good old NC eject.

I will of course have to machine/shim the launch shoe to account for the taper of the NC at the base ,but it`s not much.

This sound OK ?

Thankyou all !!

Paul T

Should oughta work. The hard part will be alignment before you launch... Maybe use an extra-fine sharpie to make a small matchmark?

Keep in mind that the rail buttons stop doing anything once the top one clears the rail. Effectively, you end up with a shorter rail. You will want to make sure you have enough motor to have sufficient speed to be stable with a shorter rail.

Joe

Keep in mind that the rail buttons stop doing anything once the top one clears the rail. Effectively, you end up with a shorter rail. You will want to make sure you have enough motor to have sufficient speed to be stable with a shorter rail.

Joe

Exactly. The actual missile had a lot more motor then what you can put in your model. You should probably use 6' of rail above the upper button when you launch to ensure sufficient speed when the upper button clears the rail.

Exactly. The actual missile had a lot more motor then what you can put in your model. You should probably use 6' of rail above the upper button when you launch to ensure sufficient speed when the upper button clears the rail.

The rail buttons will be 24" from center to center.

My 1515 rail is 9 feet long.

The rocket is pretty stable in it`s design ,and with the rail I have ,there should be at least 5-6` for the forward button to ride on.

The kit ,although FG ,really is not that heavy ,and with the 54mm MMT ,motor selection should not be a problem.

Thankyou for your input gentlemen !

Paul t

Back