Quick Altimeter Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjkcolorado

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading as much as I can about dual deployment altimeters, and see that using Velcro to secure them or their batteries is not recommended. What about using Velcro to secure simple, non-deployment altimeters such as an AltimeterOne? I am not thinking of using Velcro as the primary means to secure it, just to keep it from bouncing around during flight.

Velcro can store and release static electricity.....the bane and destroyer of many types of electronics.

That is the issue.... not how secure it can hold.

For something like an Altimeter One, which is already in a protective plastic case, I wouldn't worry about static from velcro -- velcro is used in R/C aircraft to hold receivers and other electronics in place.

A dual-deploy altimeter that's not in a protective case is an entirely different issue, and I wouldn't use velcro on it.

-Kevin

There is a 3m material available at walmart, or if you have an ez pass, you can get new strips for free. It holds very strong and doesnt let go, its not velcro, I cant imagine it would have the same elecrostatic properties as velcro. Alternatively just use zip ties.

There is a 3m material available at walmart, or if you have an ez pass, you can get new strips for free. It holds very strong and doesnt let go, its not velcro, I cant imagine it would have the same elecrostatic properties as velcro. Alternatively just use zip ties.

Thanks for this reference. I'm on my way to Walmart to get some for my Clust-0-matics. (Which have no mounting holes or room to add them.) Been stuck on how to attach them to the board.

Is the 3M material you are referring to the same stuff they use on the 3M brand picture/wall hanging hooks? If so, we have a bunch of those little strips around (thanks to my wife's propensity to change wall hangings multiple times a year).

Got it. Looks similar to the 3M picture hanging stuff, but not exact. Both are a variation on the Velcro theme, but not technically 'hook and loop' fasteners.

that stuff functions more like a zipper...if you can picture it like that. the tiny balls at the end of the little plastic threads interlock with each other. i have a radar detector for my car which came with suction cups to hold it to the window...the suction cups eventually start to crack and dry out, and then they dont hold anymore, so i was looking for a more permanent solution. i searched on google and the consensus was that the EZ pass tape was the best stuff to use. i sourced the same thing (which is in the amazon link) at walmart for like 3-4 dollars for a pack of 6 strips or so. i put the material on my window in may and it has not shown a single sign of failure at all. no peeling, no nothing. the mechanism it uses to attach itself seems a lot more secure than velcro, and the fibers are much much thicker, so static should not be an issue. not to mention the adhesive portion of the material is rather thick, and presumably a good insulator.

so there you have it. i'd recommend this stuff for everything. the adhesive they use is unbelievably strong, as is the actual interlocking mechanism.

Back