Questions about PDAs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
First, I know nothing about PDAs, Palm Pilots, what ever they are called. My interests in cam rockets, and electronic payloads is growing, and I was wondering about a few things. Are the Pencams abled to hook up to a PDA? What about the video systems (such as Boostervision's), or some of the altimeters? Also, are there any other uses for a PDA at the launch site? My main concern is with the pencams. After a launch, can the pics be downloaded to a PDA, so the cam can be flown again? Or would it be better to find a good used lap top?

I imagine it could, if the pencam had PDA software and the PDA had a USB port... I have never used one, but I will be getting a pencam in a while...

Get a Pencam that used SD memory sticks, then buy a Tungsten E. $199.99, high res color, plays mpg's and mp3's. Great for photos :-D. Then you take the flashcard from the pencam, put it in the palm, and then you can view the pictures off the palm, and use a program like SplashPhoto to copy it from the card to the palm pilot. Then when you sinc it, the pictures are automatically saved to your PC. I love my Palm Pilot :D

Sounds cool, but from what I understand, the SD pencams won't take pix in rapid succession, except in movie mode. I have heard that there is a 5 second delay between images on the Aiptek 1.3 SD Pencam.
I sure would like to have a laptop or something to dump and preview pix at the launch site. I doubt the Aiptek software is available in Palm.

Use the interanl memory from the camera, then after the flight, stick in the memory card into the camera to transfer the data from the camera to the memory. You could also try the 18x SD cards... a lot faster than normal SD cards :)

Latest posts

Back