Question on Raven AV-Bay Mag Switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worsaer

Amateur Propulsionist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 4 inch AV Bay that uses a 38mm internal tube, allowing a easy swap out of a Raven mounted on the Featherweight AV-Bay.
It's difficult to describe, so here are some photos before I get to my question...

P5292120a.jpgP5292115a.jpgP5292118a.jpgP5292119a.jpg

Ideally, it allows for two Ravens for redundancy, if desired, one at each end.

I understand that the distance from the outside of the 4" rocket to the inside 38mm mount is not ideal for the magnetic switch. I do have the larger magnet Adrian has available, and have no problem arming the altimeter. However, it seems as though it takes a stronger / closer magnetic field to disarm it. I can repeatedly arm no problem, but cannot get it to disarm with a magnet unless I remove the Raven and get a tad closer with the magnet.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the mag switch? Is it simply a matter of getting an even larger magnet?

I have a 4 inch AV Bay that uses a 38mm internal tube, allowing a easy swap out of a Raven mounted on the Featherweight AV-Bay.
It's difficult to describe, so here are some photos before I get to my question...

Ideally, it allows for two Ravens for redundancy, if desired, one at each end.

I understand that the distance from the outside of the 4" rocket to the inside 38mm mount is not ideal for the magnetic switch. I do have the larger magnet Adrian has available, and have no problem arming the altimeter. However, it seems as though it takes a stronger / closer magnetic field to disarm it. I can repeatedly arm no problem, but cannot get it to disarm with a magnet unless I remove the Raven and get a tad closer with the magnet.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the mag switch? Is it simply a matter of getting an even larger magnet?

Try different orientations of the magnet. During the course of the last few years I have had to change the magnetic sensors due to parts availability, so the exact operation depends on which version it is. One version requires the magnet to move one pole close to arm, and the other close to disarm.

Back