question on NCR Hobgoblin wire rope cable (diameter =??)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy D. Jones

Reaction score
Planning on getting an NCR Hobgoblin and had a question on the diameter of the wire rope thats part of recovery harness.

Anyone know what the diameter is? maybe measure w calipers if you got a NCR Hobgoblin??

Asking because there are crimps on each end made with a special wire rope crimping tool. The tool comes in a couple sizes and wanted to make sure i bought the right one.

Could definitely use plyers or a hammer instead but it would be neater to just use the correct tool You can get them online cheap & I could probably use the tool for other things later too.

If you got the diameter of the wire rope that is whats needed to get the correct tool.

Personally, I found it more hassle than it's worth. If (when) I build another, I will just skip that piece and go kevlar all the way down. His site has email and chat, I would reach out for the info.

Planning on getting an NCR Hobgoblin and had a question on the diameter of the wire rope thats part of recovery harness.

Anyone know what the diameter is? maybe measure w calipers if you got a NCR Hobgoblin??

Asking because there are crimps on each end made with a special wire rope crimping tool. The tool comes in a couple sizes and wanted to make sure i bought the right one.

Could definitely use plyers or a hammer instead but it would be neater to just use the correct tool You can get them online cheap & I could probably use the tool for other things later too.

If you got the diameter of the wire rope that is whats needed to get the correct tool.
I’ve done that “Gorilla” style mount several times using hardware store s.s. wire rope and off the shelf crimps - just used pair of clamping pliers (ViceGrips) on the crimp, which has held up to multiple H motor flights on my L1 rocket. IIRC it’s 1/16” stainless but it could be 3/32” since those are the common smaller diameters available.

I just purchased a Dyacom Python. The kit came with steal wire for shock cord in booster section. I may go with kevlar

I've used the steel cable in Cosmodrome kits before. It pretty much can be swapped for kevlar in almost every case. Kevlar does degrade over time but I'm not sure if it'd fail before the stainless steel cable or not.

I just got a Cluster Duck and SA-14 Archer this week and looking forward to building them. I'll use the steel cable in both.

Almost done with a Vektra, and when I went to install the ferrules, one of them looked crimped and couldn't fit the wire through. Went to the hardware store and got 3/32 ferrules which are a little thicker. Used a cold chisel and a hammer to crimp, followed up with CA and the shrink tubing. Worked well. Can't say if steel will deteriorate before kevlar, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of flights out of it! :D

Attachments

• Gorilla Shock Cord Mount.jpg
    Gorilla Shock Cord Mount.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
One post above your confirms that the Cluster Duck uses the heavier wire and the smaller diameter wire was for lightweight rockets so pretty safe to assume it’s the thicker one in a Hobgoblin.

FWIW, nylon coated strand wire is used extensively in the tooling industry to retain removable locating pins/bushings and other assemblies to prevent loss from the main fixture. Pretty sure MM&Carr or Grainger's catalogues will have it in bulk.

Back