suggestions for Mega Der Red Max shock cord attachment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am building a Vanderburn clone of the Estes Mega Der Red Max and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a preferred way to attach the shock cord (a length of kevlar cord)?

The Fwd centering ring has both two holes and a slot.

IMG_2315 FWD ring.jpg

I have seen centering rings with a slot like that, but they come with this small wooden tab - I just checked and this kit didn't come with one of those. If I used the slot, I assume that means switching to a length of flat cordage.

I could get a short length of wire rope and attach that to the ring through the holes w/ crimps and attach the cord to the wire rope (like in North Cost Rocketry kits).

Not sure what would be recommended or preferred??

If you have pics of how you suggest attaching it, that would be perfect.

Thanks,

Dave S.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old thread but here is what I did for my Warlock. This is the same process I use for all of my 4in and larger rockets.

Attachments

• w22.jpg
    w22.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
With big rings like that, I'd run the cord through all of them and loop it around the motor mount tube outside the rocket at the back. That way, it's super-easy to inspect and, if/when necessary, replace it. If you run a small diameter tube from close to the ID of the aft ring to close to the OD of the forward ring, that makes it much simpler to fish it through.

Not too late for suggestions. What I ended up doing was looping wire rope through the two holes and crimping it. Attached the Kevlar cord and heat shrink over both of the crimp pieces as well as the ends of the cord.

It’s not shown in the photo, but later I plugged the slot and holes the wire rope goes thru w epoxy to minimize the volume available for ejection gas.

Attachments

• CFF05B6D-1F04-4A80-B7C7-B1BF5D4E1A43.jpeg
    CFF05B6D-1F04-4A80-B7C7-B1BF5D4E1A43.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I just use a piece of tubular nylon epoxied into the body tube for cardboard rockets. Fiberglass rockets get either an eye bolt in the CR, Kevlar strap on the motor tube, or steel cable with loop woven in. 1st pic is a recent build of a 4" rocket. I put the charge just above the motor and this mount keeps the loop away from the ejection charge. 2nd pic is one stage of weaving the loop in a steel cable that goes around the motor tube under the top CR.
TV400 build 36a.jpg ww6-1.jpg

Back