Question about painting laminated fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I have started laminating my fins with 20# copy paper and am impressed with the results. I have read that some use airplane dope to coat the paper before priming/painting. What other methods are used to fill the paper before painting? I am wondering about clear krylon.

After laminating with typing paper, I soak the fin with thin CA and sand it smooth. The CA makes the fin much stronger and results in a plastic-like surface finish. Normal primer and paint follow.

After laminating with typing paper, I soak the fin with thin CA and sand it smooth. The CA makes the fin much stronger and results in a plastic-like surface finish. Normal primer and paint follow.

I do the same thing. Makes for a strong fin and smooth finish.

I run the paper through my color laser printer prior to laminating the fins. The toner looks really nice.

I don't have the experience that the many others have, but I have successfully used paper laminations and done nothing else, just prime, sand and paint as usual.

I laminate all my fins with paper. I find I can laminate 3 fins in less than 5 min. I just use use a few coats of primer and rub with 0000 steel wool between coats. The first one or two coats sometimes bring paper fuzz up on the fin and the steel wool takes care of that. I end up with VERY strong fins with a great finish!

Laseradam,

Do you laminate before or after the fins go on the body?

I laminate before I attach it to the body tube. What I do is cut a square of paper larger than the fin. I sand the leading edges of the fin round. Then I put a drop of Elmer's carpenters glue on one side of the fin. I spread it with the edge of something like a credit card making sure to cover the entire surface of the fin.
I almost scrape it all back off leaving a thin film of glue. Right away I lay the paper square on the fin. I use a piece of plexiglass and lay it flat on the paper/fin sandwich and press down with all my bodyweight. Then set it under a phonebook for about 5 min. to dry while I do the other fins. Then I take the first fin and use scissors to trim the paper as close to the balsa as I can. Then do the same process on the other side. After about 30 min. I use sandpaper to sand the paper back to the rounded profile of the leading edges.

Sometimes I use superglue on the edges of the balsa to seal the grain and then resand the edges but most of the time I don't.

I laminate before I attach it to the body tube.
Me too.
I sand the leading edges of the fin round. ... After about 30 min. I use sandpaper to sand the paper back to the rounded profile of the leading edges. ... Sometimes I use superglue on the edges of the balsa to seal the grain and then resand the edges but most of the time I don't.
I often round the leading edge and taper the trailing edge. When I do this, I make the paper twice as large as the fin and wrap it around the leading edge. That way there is no gap on the leading edge. The trailing edge has a very tiny gap that can be sealed with thin CA.

Me too.

... I make the paper twice as large as the fin and wrap it around the leading edge. That way there is no gap on the leading edge. The trailing edge has a very tiny gap that can be sealed with thin CA.

This idea I like. I'm going to try this next time. I hate trimming the paper from the fin...that's my most unfavorite part.

I went with the laminate/prime method as I really wanted to cut down on steps. I am using Duplicolor's #FP101 Filler Primer. It fills the paper nicely!

I often round the leading edge and taper the trailing edge. When I do this, I make the paper twice as large as the fin and wrap it around the leading edge. That way there is no gap on the leading edge. The trailing edge has a very tiny gap that can be sealed with thin CA.
For added effect, cut this shape to be a little too small so that it doesn't reach the trailing edge of the fin. Now cut another piece of paper which wraps round the trailing edge and overlaps slightly with the first piece. Glue this piece round the trailing edge first, then glue the large piece round the leading edge to overlap the small piece.

What you then have is both edges sealed and something which looks like a movable control surface.

Back