Quest Shuttle Intrepid

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
Hello gang,
The new Quest shuttle Intrepid is going together great .good quality
die-cutting and nice decals.
fill n finish everywhere !..I applied masking tape to the glue joint areas than, the fill and finish .sanded all the pieces, than started assembly...whew.

pictures of the assembly process(so far)...can be seen here:

https://photos.yahoo.com/styrocket

enjoy!

I'm gonna have to start looking out for this model.

I havn't seen it in stores yet but I have seen pics...besides stymyes

Might have to ask Santa for one.

....now how can i make it a little more military like?...hummmmm!

sandman

The Quest Shuttle Intrepid has her first finished coat of paint ..white
The suggested paint scheme is Quite more involved than a Orbital Transport , Sandman's Intercepter build,or any booster/glider kit I have finished so far..

After a base coat of white, The underside and the first upper 1/8" leading wing edges
of the booster, get a coat of flat black to simulate heat resistant tile.
Quest also suggests to paint the front edge of the bottom rudders and the back edge of the main wing with a black broad point marker.

the glider is also white and recieves yet annother color ,matt grey
Quest suggests to paint the underside and corresponding tube with the grey than,
the nosecone is painted black with a white oblong ring on the tip

The decals are very nice water transfers and a black oblong transfer is placed in the underside of the booster nosecone..

so far I have the white base paint done and still obviously have more painting to do before I can start on the cool decals.

this is more a "builders kit" and a great kit for the price!

heres four more pics of the shuttle so far,(click on the shutte file)

https://photos.yahoo.com/styrocket

stymye,

That model really apeals to me and you have done a superior job on it.

Does the booster glide also or does it have a chute?

I am a bit concerned about the up elivator position on the booster and how it will affect stability.

We will need a complete launch and flight evaluation from you!

I can't wait to see the job you do on the Transglobal interceptor!

sandman

the glider detaches at ejection and glides back
the plans say to install the elevators in a 10 degree up position the glider nose is left unglued and nose weight is used to stabilise the glider after painting.
they also suggest to leave the glider unfinished for best performance.I used minimal filler ,fillets ,paint thickness, and hope it will still glide somewhat .

I plan on using a little heat/steam to flex the elevators if necessary for a somewhat tight circle re-entry pattern..the weather hasn't been co-operitive lately.

Where can one purchase a kit of this caliber...I have a kit bash plan floating in my head...:D

I've already asked Santa for one!

I've been very very good!

sandman

P.S. I did have to show Santa the link to ehobbies so he (she) could get me one.

so far... the busy holiday season coupled with a flooded launch site, have stalled further testing on the shuttle...I'll post results and pics ,when I can do some flying again.......happy holidays everyone !

Well,

I opened my Shuttle Intrepid.

Nice kit. lots a balsa and a really good design. Man was it inexpensive! only $12.99

Can't wait to get started.

Thanks Santa...and Quest.

sandman

I got a good start on my Intrepid this weekend and even got the Orbiter mostly finished.

MAN! is it tiny...I'm gonna clone a few more orbiters, just in case, looks like it is gonna be a tuffy to spot in the air.

Actually it will be pretty simple to dublicate a fleet of orbiter.

I'll make a bunch with 1/16" balsa. The 3/32" is kinda thick for such a little glider.

I wasn't too pleased with the die cut parts...more "CRUSHED" out then "cut out". But easy to fix.

Like I said...it's only $13!

sandman

sandman ..the balsa in the kit I got was crisply cut....no mashing
.......... their quality control could be better ..mabey..

sadly I haven't been able to fly the Quest shuttle because.
The local NAR club doesnt launch during the winter ,I havent been able to launch anything lately.....My regular model rocket size field, is under construction now and
un-useable .... the school yard I sometimes went to ,put up a gate with No Tresspassing signs......the area around a Dam that all the local rocket flyers used to go has been closed off since the 9/11 attacks..... it is still closed..I'm basically out of a place to fly anymore .....I'm aimlessly looking around for a place now...and need a shot of BP...it's almost depressing.....dangit!.....

stymye,

Are you "dead in the water"?

I havn't heard a report on your shuttle comparison review. Heck, i almost have mine finished.

Let's hear a report soon...with pictures please!

sandman

Sorry Sandman...I'm layed up for a little while .I had to have a tooth pulled yesterday and I'm having a little trouble concentrating on anything right now...,,I still have to gather (or make) parts for the Centuri sst shuttle before I can finish the comparison.don't worry I've been taking lots of pictures...

to compound things,I've been having to work 12 hr days lately and its a 1 hr commute each way so my free time has been very sparce.....

the good news is we have a Bridgeport mill now and are purchasing a large metalworking lathe....I can use them anytime I want and I'm planing on machining some Master parts or molds
for hard to find components.....

...What would be a good piece to attempt?

Now if only I could talk the tooth fairy into a Sat V........

Originally posted by stymye
the good news is we have a Bridgeport mill now and are purchasing a large metalworking lathe....I can use them anytime I want and I'm planing on machining some Master parts or molds
for hard to find components.....

...What would be a good piece to attempt?
My brother did some CAD drawings for me for a 38mm motor retainer. He made me a couple and they are really sweet. I could get you the drawings if you are interested.

Mark,yes , I am interested in the cad drawings
thanks!

On the Quest Shuttle Intrepid,
I just remembered,I had found a problem
On instruction step 16(booster)..it says to mount the 1" launch lug 3-1/2" from the bottom of the lug to the bottom of the tube
this is wrong ..it should be 2-7/8" otherwise the glider wont slip over the little rudder on the booster...I hope you caught this or havent done it yet...

styme,

Actually I think it's supposed to slip over the rudder. My "orbiter's" two elevons nests nicely on either side.

sandman

Back