The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice Paint Job.
I did one of mine with a little more traditional paint scheme.

465-f2-sm_Aerobee-Hi finish&decals complete_04-04-07.JPG

Last edited:

RocketsNorth

Reaction score
Awesome fade job with the yellow.
Can you share how you made the fade?

RoyAtl

Reaction score

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ture Roy!
Still an overall EXCELLENT fade paint job. Quite nicely done.

SteveA

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys.:) Yes, it is the old Quest kit. I found it in a hobby shop stuffed away in a corner with a bunch of old rocket stuff. Indeed, I could have painted it in the traditional scheme as on the package, but I wanted to paint it a way that was reflective of my state. Thus, the Ad Astra (state motto) the Jayhawk, 1861, (year of statehood) and the Prairie Schooner (for the wagons that crossed the plains.) I seldom paint stuff to reflect the packaging. I want to see if I can make it look unique and to see if I can pull off the technique. (sometimes it works, often...not.*LOL*) In regards to the fade, I used an air brush. I built up the yellow enough to make it visible and then over-sprayed light coats of white to get the two to blend but not enough to indicate any real demarcation. Yellow is a great color to work with when doing a fade. I had similar results with my Thunderstrike using yellow and orange.

Again, thank you for your comments. I'm glad everyone liked the paint job.:)

SteveA

Reaction score
I forgot to add, that I use spray-on lacquer as well. It's from a rattle can, and sprays kinda heavy, but it helps with the blending of the fade in the end.

Last edited:

Marlin523

Reaction score
Very cool. I've always wanted to learn how to airbrush!

SteveA

Reaction score
Very cool. I've always wanted to learn how to airbrush!
It's easier than you think. I would suggest a double action rather than a single action. I use a Paasche 2000. With a double action you can really crank down your paint flow and do nifty detail work.

Initiator001

Reaction score
I'm thinking his Aerobee-Hi was the old Quest kit, rather than the recent Model Missiles Inc 50th Anniversary Reproduction kit by Quest.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_qst_aerobee.shtml

A little bit bigger around and had a shorter plastic nose. But yes, he could've done a traditional scheme, as that was what was suggested on the header card.
Here's a picture of the Quest MMI 50th Anniversary Reproduction kit (L) and the Quest (Sort-of-scale) Aerobee-Hi model (R).

Quest Aerobee-Hi models.jpg

Latest posts