ProLine Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kavel_r

Reaction score
ProLine Rocketry's website looks a bit outdated... Is it still in business?

I'm designing a 38 mm minimum diameter mach buster.

How much does their 38 mm aluminum tipped nose cone weigh? And how much does their 38 mm ProFusion tubing versus their Carbon Fiber tubing weigh by the foot?

I'm designing a 38 mm minimum diameter mach buster.

How much does their 38 mm aluminum tipped nose cone weigh? And how much does their 38 mm ProFusion tubing versus their Carbon Fiber tubing weigh by the foot?

I believe that Madcow now handles those components.

Last time I looked only Wildman and AMW/ProX had 38 mm metal tipped FWFG nose cones. I picked one up at LDRS from Wildman. Good quality but will require some sanding for a really smooth finish. YMMV
William

You can still get metal tipped NC’s from Madcow for the asking.

Thanks guys. At what mach number (2? 3?) do you really need a metal tipped NC rather than composite tipped?

Thanks guys. At what mach number (2? 3?) do you really need a metal tipped NC rather than composite tipped?

Given you're designing a 38mm rocket my expectation is you'll be lucky to reach Mach 2 and won't come anywhere near Mach 3. So in your use case I don't think having a metal tipped NC is a requirement for what you're planning to do.

To more formally answer your questions from my understanding ProLine is the actual manufacturer of most (if not all) currently commercially available metal tipped VK NC nose cones, the CF airframes uses in Mongoose kits, and ProFusion tubing used in kits like Wildman's Blackhawk. I could be wrong though. Anecdotally from what I've been told you're better off ordering from a retailer that stocks their products (like Wildman or Madcow). That advice is close to a decade old now though so ymmv.

Regarding the NC I could answer that but the one I have on the bench at home is the "thick walled" white NC with metal tip, not the thin walled ones that I suspect are now available (for instance the 54mm VK NC that's thin walled that comes with Wildman's Mach 2 kit). And if the Carbon Fibre tubing is the same that's always been in Mongoose kits (thick walled FWCF) the ProFusion tubing is actually lighter (assuming it's thin walled FWFG). More details can be found here.

https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5886

The 38mm FWFG VK metal tipped NC I just got from Widman weighs exactly 104.0 grams. Don't know about the tubing.

William

Back