Project Lila

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a very rough .ORK which approximates the area of the cardstock fins. It's not a substitute for a good old fashioned swing test.

Hopefully someone will run up a better simulation with a newer version of Open Rocket than the one I am using.

Attachments

• Lila.ork
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Project Lila is an LPR with folded cardstock fins. The build is simple, you should have most of what you need in your parts pile.

View attachment 580274

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for making this rocket a free download. I know it took a good amount of effort, time and some money to produce Lila. I really do appreciate your willingness to share.

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for making this rocket a free download. I know it took a good amount of effort, time and some money to produce Lila. I really do appreciate your willingness to share.

Thank you. She needs to be shared. I want people, our group, to make the design better than it is.

I was going to fly it this morning at a park launch but the glue on the launch lugs weren't quite dry.
Used holographic adhesive wrap and a weighted balsa nose cone cuz that's what I had on hand.
Added an engine hook.
0513231627[1].jpg

We have another launch next weekend at the local community college.
Will try to send her up then, weather permitting.
0513231626[1].jpg

I built this stock per the instructions but was wondering about the placement of the lugs.
Mal, could the lugs be put further back on the tube?
Instructions have them 17 and 30 cm from the back end.
That places the bottom lug around mid center and the forward lug near the top end of the tube.
Laters.

No problems.
The fin templates and paint mask are perfectly sized.
I didn't need to use the fin guides because the cutouts for the paint mask mark the locations for the fins.
However I did print the paint mask on the back of the wrap (on the backing paper).
Then cut it out and wrapped it around the body tube.
Worked perfectly, and no painting.
Oh, and didn't have 140# cardstock so used 110#.

Would be a good idea to edit the ORK file and override the CG position in the sustainer and for all subcomponents to a point where you know it has been flown and was stable. But remember that the cg will still change in the sim once you load a motor, which is not the position you want. My brain hurts, someone smart should figure out how to convey this.....

Best I can come up with is a 0g mass called C.G. at the desired CG position. This won't move.... now to work the magic and make this a thing we'll need @K'Tesh to make it pretty. OR can then continue to do it's thing and give you the simulated CG. With the mass object showing the desired cg for a known working flight profile.
1689287486368.png

Attachments

• Lila.ork
    2.8 KB · Views: 0
Best I can come up with is a 0g mass called C.G. at the desired CG position. This won't move.... now to work the magic and make this a thing we'll need @K'Tesh to make it pretty. OR can then continue to do it's thing and give you the simulated CG. With the mass object showing the desired cg for a known working flight profile.

Nice work. All input to this design is welcomed. After all, it’s a communal project now.

View attachment 591936
Hey Mal,
Can you swing test it and give me a CG working test point?

Back