Pro Series Terrier

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat5752

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this in scratch build, but it is scale. A friend just sent me the Terrier portion of an Estes Terrier/Sandhawk. I have the body tube, fins and transition piece of the Terrier. I'll have to make centering rings, but no biggy. I would like to do something different than a Sandhawk on top, but I'm still learning about all the combos that are out there for the Terrier. I would like to build it as the Estes was, with the top rocket being removable and capable of flying on it's own. But I am missing the ring that slid down to lock the two together. Does anyone have a source for this, or any ideas on how I can make it?

Attachments

• terrier booster.jpg
    terrier booster.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 0
  • terrier ring.jpg
    terrier ring.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Terrier.JPG
    Terrier.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1
The "HBT" naming convention as discussed in John Brohm's tube list suggests that part should have an OD of 1.475 inches. Some of the other HBTs were 0.045 thickness, which would give this an ID of 1.385. I have a pretty comprehensive spreadsheet of available body tube sizes, and there is nothing in that range. So if you want that ring, you're likely to have to make it. Lots of threads on how to make your own paper tubes. For just a little ring like that, it should be pretty straightforward.

Better yet, 3d print it. You can easily model the dimensions in OpenRocket, export it as a .OBJ, and print that.

The "HBT" naming convention as discussed in John Brohm's tube list suggests that part should have an OD of 1.475 inches. Some of the other HBTs were 0.045 thickness, which would give this an ID of 1.385. I have a pretty comprehensive spreadsheet of available body tube sizes, and there is nothing in that range. So if you want that ring, you're likely to have to make it. Lots of threads on how to make your own paper tubes. For just a little ring like that, it should be pretty straightforward.
I couldn't anything in any reference save the fact that it was heavy body tube. I think all of the components of this kit were one-offs. Not like Estes at all for the most part.

I've got it, the RIM-2 Terrier!! Goal is to make it as the Estes Pro Series Terrier/Sandhawk - launch as a stack or launch second stage separate. Maybe do a bunch of reading and figure out airstart of second stage.

Attachments

• RIM-2-Terrier-002.jpg
    RIM-2-Terrier-002.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 0
  • RIM-2-Terrier-003.jpg
    RIM-2-Terrier-003.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 0
  • RIM-2-Terrier-004.jpg
    RIM-2-Terrier-004.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • RIM-2-Terrier-005.jpg
    RIM-2-Terrier-005.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 0
  • RIM-2-Terrier-006.jpg
    RIM-2-Terrier-006.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
Not quite one-offs. The Terrier booster is also used in the rare Estes Seahawk, and the fins are used in the slightly less rare Estes Python.

This version of the Terrier HTR has a shorter nosecone than the version in the photos above. Unfortunately I couldn't find dimensions for that nosecone. This is an excerpt from "Selected US Navy Missiles of the Cold War" available from ASP, eRockets, and ARA Press.

Attachments

• Terrier HTR 25.GIF
    Terrier HTR 25.GIF
    101.4 KB · Views: 1
This version of the Terrier HTR has a shorter nosecone than the version in the photos above. Unfortunately I couldn't find dimensions for that nosecone. This is an excerpt from "Selected US Navy Missiles of the Cold War" available from ASP, eRockets, and ARA Press.
Thank you very much Peter!

Not quite one-offs. The Terrier booster is also used in the rare Estes Seahawk, and the fins are used in the slightly less rare Estes Python.
I knew of the Python, but didn't realize the Seahawk was the same. This booster might be from a Seahawk kit, because the guy that sent it to me has a Seahawk. Very interesting, thank you

Back