Power connection devices

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those would be great for the purpose. :D

They look similar to the connectors used on really large PA speaker stacks.

I didn't think of it at first because I am going a different direction with my controller, but this company has many different connectors from 2-20+ pins that would work well for relay launchers.

SCE to AUX: They are in fact sold as high power amplifier and speaker connections by many webstores. It appears that they are rated appropriately for a controller. I will likely fuse the circuit at 35 amps, well below the rating.

yup.those are the speakon/neutrik NL4 connectors for P.A. cabs.They will work nicely for cable runs to launch pads.I wish i had a dollar for everyone of those i've put onto a P.A. harness.There is also an 8 conductor version available.

They are in fact sold as high power amplifier and speaker connections. It appears that they are rated appropriately for a controller. I will likely fuse the circuit at 35 amps, well below the rating.
That's true - 50 amps may be the peak value, so I would say that the straight current is limited to not more than 20 amps...

That's true - 50 amps may be the peak value, so I would say that the straight current is limited to not more than 20 amps...

Electronics is not my strongest subject, by any means. Please explain what in the ratings and certifications provided by the manufacturer leads you to believe that the current in a launch control circuit should be limited to 20 amps when using these devices. I do not want to use them if they will not be suitable.

I examined other devices that are related, including Anderson Powerpole connectors that are rated comparably, and they actual physical contacts seem very similar in construction. The Switchcraft connectors also use up to 10 ga, wire, which they would not need for 20 amps. Once again, I do not claim to be an expert, so please tell me what I've missed.

If these are sold as connectors for sound amplyfiers, and there's nothing that says "straight current" or similar after the value of the amps, it means (by default on amp rates with acustic stuff) that the value is not for straight current, but for sine current. The straight current that can go through a wire/connector in our case is at least 1/2 of the amount of sine current that can go through the same place, on some connectors/wires it can be even 1/3, but that's not common. In our case, 50 amps is sine current. 1/2 of 50 is 25. Remove 5 amps for security and here we are: we reduced the 50 amps to 20. :(

According to the manufacturer's website (linked above), these connectors are rated at 50A per UL standard 1977. An overview of the relevant UL standard here:

https://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/1977.html

shows no mention of "straight current" versus "sine current" rating, or any derating for other than audio service.

This is a general standard for power/signal connectors.

If these are sold as connectors for sound amplyfiers, and there's nothing that says "straight current" or similar after the value of the amps, it means (by default on amp rates with acustic stuff) that the value is not for straight current, but for sine current. The straight current that can go through a wire/connector in our case is at least 1/2 of the amount of sine current that can go through the same place, on some connectors/wires it can be even 1/3, but that's not common. In our case, 50 amps is sine current. 1/2 of 50 is 25. Remove 5 amps for security and here we are: we reduced the 50 amps to 20. :(
sometimes very bad things happen in an audio chain where "actual" current goes down the line,have never metered it,but can tell you the stench of a bank of 18" subwoofer voice coils is something you don't want to smell;)

That's what happens when the amplifier blows a bank of output transistors, and sends DC voltage out to the speakers. Decent amplifiers have a speaker protection relay to sense this, but it doesn't always cut out in time...

sometimes very bad things happen in an audio chain where "actual" current goes down the line,have never metered it,but can tell you the stench of a bank of 18" subwoofer voice coils is something you don't want to smell;)

In this case substitute an igniter or cluster for "bank of 18" subwoofer coils" and the result is a good thing. I like the smell too.

SCE to AUX: Thanks for looking at that for me. I actually found that page but wasn't confident I was reading it properly or merely seeing what I wanted to. I will be certain to let everyone know how it works out in the spring.

Back