Possibly dumb question re: igniters/starters/initiators for composites

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
A friend and I tried to launch his Apogee Aspire recently. Since, between the two of us, I'm the one who's actually done a lot of reading and getting obsessed with rocketry, I basically built it for him, and it lives with me - essentially, it's become my rocket.

Anyway, he got it for his birthday, and really wants to see it launch. I'd taken the responsibility of setting it up. But I'd never attempted to use a composite before; I didn't insert the igniter far enough into the motor, and when we pressed the launch button, the igniter sparked and nothing else happened.

It was a disappointing end to an otherwise really great launch.

I felt bad, and said that since I was thinking of getting into using composites anyway, I'd get him another igniter.

Now, the questions: This is an Apogee motor that came with a Copperhead igniter. Do I have to use that igniter, or can I use a different brand? I haven't really shopped around for a replacement yet, but he's in town for a week, and I'd like to try to get this rocket in the air if possible.

What about Estes sonic igniters? I don't know if there's a huge difference between composite igniters, but there is a local hobby shop that carries them, and the package simply says "For composite motors." But I don't know if that means for Estes composite motors only. I don't know if they're any more or less reliable than a Copperhead or First Fire Jr., but if they're at least supposed to work with another brand composite motor, I could go out right now and pick up a package of three for little more than five bucks.

Can you mix and match igniters/starters/initiators with different brands of composite motors, or do you need a specific igniter for a specific motor? What about those Sonics? Would they work? I feel kind of responsible for the misfire, and I promised I'd get him a new igniter - it was for his birthday, after all.

Thanks!

You can use other brands of igniters. I would buy another copperhead or try to get a quest q2g2. I make my own, but would not recommend a small igniter as your first.

You can use other brands of igniters. I would buy another copperhead or try to get a quest q2g2. I make my own, but would not recommend a small igniter as your first.

Would a Q2G2 actually work for a composite motor? I didn't know BP igniters would work for a composite motor. (Not that I have any of those...)

I might try the three pack of Sonics. They might not be great, but I figure I have three chances to get it right.

Good luck even getting a Copperhead these days. That the motor included them means it's somewhat old and may be hard to light. If that's the F10, I haven't seen one, but the nozzle is probably too small for the First Fire Jr.'s. The F24 and F40 reloads now come with a Sonic-style smaller wired FF igniter (maybe redipped?), I don't think you can get them by themselves, so try Sonics.

The big trick is getting far enough into propellant so that the core starts burning properly. As long as it gets there and has enough heat, any ignitor will work.

Back