possible alternate shroud line choices

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
Here is an alternate source of high-quality 'string' that would be suitable for use as parachute shroud line.

Brownell makes a couple of archery bow string materials that you should check out. The first one is 'B-50' dacron, 0.018 diameter, 49 to 50 lb test. Available in black, white, green, red, yellow, blue, bronze, brown. A four ounce spool holds about 1100 feet and costs about $7 or $8. Try contacting FS Discount Archery in Tustin Calif at 800-824-8261 or online at fsdiscountarchery.com. Or try contacting 3 Rivers Archery in Ashley Indiana at 260-587-9501 or online at 3riversarchery.com. Or try Valley Traditional in Whitewater Colo at 970-243-8144 or online at valleytradarchery.com.

The second one is 'Fast Flight' blend, 0.015 diameter, about 95 lb test. Available in white, purple, teal, black, bronze, red, blue, and olive drab. A four ounce spool holds about 2100 feet and costs around $22 to $27. Available at the same three vendors listed above. Or you could look at any local archery retail shops, they might stock these materials if they cater to 'traditional' archers.

I believe that either of these are considerably cheaper than the kevlar stuff I have seen advertised, and will do the job just as well.

Powderburner:
I found a source for two strand twisted Kevlar thread a while back. Edumnd Scientific's, On-line www.scientificsonline.com, Phone 800-728-6999
Find the material under components they call it "super Strong Kevlar fiber" #B30348-63 Comes on a 600ft spool very nice stuff for chutes up to 48" in mylar or 24" in nylon. I have yet to snap a shroud line useing this stuff, Last price I have from the "christmas catalog 2002 was 19.95 per roll. It's great for streamer leads also.

Back