PML - MR1 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have liked the MR-1. Looks like it might be an RPG round
But something was wrong. That huge nose cone and that short piece of body tube.
What can be done? I know! I'll make it longer!!

Attachments

• full rocket.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 1
I have liked the MR-1. Looks like it might be an RPG round
But something was wrong. That huge nose cone and that short piece of body tube.
What can be done? I know! I'll make it longer!!
The stock kit is 25 inches long . Mine is 35.5 inches long
I added 9 inches of 54 mm Quantum tubing. The coupler is under the transition.

Attachments

• 9 inch.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 1
The nose cone is stock. It does not have an aluminum tip. Just a little bit of silver paint.
Don't look too closely...
The stock kit has a 3 inch diameter band between the transition and the nose. It is 15/16 inch long.
I made mine 2 inches long so I could mount a rail button.
The web for the launch lug was sanded off.

Attachments

• front button.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
The stock kit has a 3 inch diameter band between the transition and the nose. It is 15/16 inch long.
I made mine 2 inches long so I could mount a rail button.
The web for the launch lug was sanded off.
The standoff for the rear rail button started out as a rail guide. I removed the guides with my trusty razor saw, sanded the top flat, marked center, drilled a pilot hole, and then a 3/16 inch hole for the T-nut on the back side.
And a longer screw...

Attachments

• rear button.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
The standoff for the rear rail button started out as a rail guide. I removed the guides with my trusty razor saw, sanded the top flat, marked center, drilled a pilot hole, and then a 3/16 inch hole for the T-nut on the back side.
And a longer screw...
The entire rocket was painted with Rusto 2X flat white primer. The body tube was masked and the fins, transition, and nose were painted Rusto 2X yellow. I removed the nose (good idea), masked all the yellow, and painted the body tube with Rusto 2X red.

The stickers - both the MR-1 XL and Superstition Spacemodeling Society NAR Section 506 - are from Mark Hayes at Sticker Shock.

There are some things I have not shown. I made the shoulder on the nose half an inch longer with a piece of coupler tube. I omitted the piston ejection in favor of a homemade baffle. I cut the shock cord in half and sewed loops into the cut ends. And I used a plastic 38 mm retainer from Launch Lab. I sanded the ridges off the retainer cap for a constant outside diameter. It's painted red too.

Attachments

• MR-1 XL.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
  • SSS.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Here's the one I'm scratch building only but having four fins instead of three so I will be calling it the MR - 1.4
D3H3N7R.jpg

wore my cat out staying up all night helping
rQpbbns.jpg

Latest posts

Back