PML Ariel Dual Deployment Flyers Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac2fv

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm test prepping my PML Ariel for DD this coming weekend. Cramming a 36" parachute and 17' of shock cord into the payload bay is a challenge... there's basically 5-6" of space in the payload after allowing for the neck of the nosecone and forward ebay. Any tips on what you've done to get a gallon of milk into a one quart container?
Thanks.

You don't mention what your shock cord material is, but perhaps there is space to be gained in how you are bundling that up. Take a look at this for a possible idea on how to minimize that bulk...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-shock-cord-entanglement.179146/#post-2414357
When I had a model under initial construction and started looking at available 'real estate' in the payload bay, I ended up purchasing a longer length of airframe for the payload section (I built an Av-bay without an external switch band, so that increased the length of coupler expending into the payload bay, and used a different nose cone with a shoulder at least an inch longer than the one supplied with the kit, more effective space lost...). I'm sure since the Ariel is already built, that is not a 'quick fix' option for you.

You don't mention what your shock cord material is, but perhaps there is space to be gained in how you are bundling that up. Take a look at this for a possible idea on how to minimize that bulk...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-shock-cord-entanglement.179146/#post-2414357
When I had a model under initial construction and started looking at available 'real estate' in the payload bay, I ended up purchasing a longer length of airframe for the payload section (I built an Av-bay without an external switch band, so that increased the length of coupler expending into the payload bay, and used a different nose cone with a shoulder at least an inch longer than the one supplied with the kit, more effective space lost...). I'm sure since the Ariel is already built, that is not a 'quick fix' option for you.
You are right, I gave too few details. I’m having trouble getting a 17’ length of 1/4” Kevlar into the payload bay with a 36” parachute. I think I’m going to drop it down to a 15’ length of 3/16” Kevlar. The rocket total weight is around 6 lbs with a motor.

On my rockets with a short bay, I cut the bottom off the nose, put an anchor in at the front (with weight, if needed) and just take advantage of the room in the bottom.

I reached out to Mike at LOC a few months back to order a custom Ariel for just this purpose. We settled on an 18 inch payload section. I haven't quite finished constructing it but I'm close and looks like everything will fit well. Also had it made with a 38mmt, 42 inch main and 14 inch drogue.

The problem of packing recovery gear into a tight spot has always been a challenge. When I started flying a lot of 38mm and 54mm MD rockets, it became a real issue. Here are some things I did:

• find a thin, flexible nomex sheet and cut it to the min size needed, and just cut a small slit in a corner for the shock cord
  • avoid the use of quick links to save space and weight (I use the finger trap technique with kevlar)
  • practice folding the chute with protector many times until you have the best possible fold pattern to fit the space
  • try alternate chutes with lighter material, thinner seams, thinner shroud lines, etc
  • in extreme cases, use a high CD chute that requires less space for the same descent rate
  • use a bigger drogue with a smaller main to achieve the desired descent rate
  • use very short sections of blue tape to keep the shock cord neat

I have been able to fit recovery gear into spaces that on first attempts seemed like a non starter. I have found that by trying many different folding patterns with a chute I can often get it to fit a much smaller space than usual, often spending a good amount of time trying different patterns and nomex wraps until I get it to work reliably. There are huge differences between thicknesses and flexibility among chute protectors, and by cutting off the seamed edges, it will often fold a lot smaller, even if it doesn't look as nice. (But make sure it can't slide along the shock cord.) And then take notes and pictures so you can reproduce it in several months when it's a bit hazy.

Between all the suggestions offered in this thread, hopefully you'll get it to work out. Good luck!

Tony

I reached out to Mike at LOC a few months back to order a custom Ariel for just this purpose. We settled on an 18 inch payload section. I haven't quite finished constructing it but I'm close and looks like everything will fit well. Also had it made with a 38mmt, 42 inch main and 14 inch drogue.
Good to know. The current payload of 12" is just too short without jumping through a lot of hoops. After allowing for the nose cone and ebay, you end up with 5". NG. I may have loc send me an 18" payload section...

Back