Plumbing question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davel

Reaction score
I know we have some plumber here....

We recently had a new bathroom sink installed in one bath, and the sink drain replaced in the other bath. In both cases, the stoppers are now captive - they were removable in the old sinks.

If I ever need to use a drain cleaner, or one of those small plastic snakes, it sure would be nice to be able to remove the stoppers. Can they be made removable or are the new drains specifically designed to prevent stopper removal?

I know we have some plumber here....

We recently had a new bathroom sink installed in one bath, and the sink drain replaced in the other bath. In both cases, the stoppers are now captive - they were removable in the old sinks.

If I ever need to use a drain cleaner, or one of those small plastic snakes, it sure would be nice to be able to remove the stoppers. Can they be made removable or are the new drains specifically designed to prevent stopper removal?

they are held in from the rear of the drain pipe. There is a rod that goes through the stopper and connects to the "pull lever" in the rear of the faucet. The rod has a ball on it that allows the rod to pivot. There is a threaded cap (like an aeropack...kind-a) that cap , if removed will allow you to remove the rod and that will let you remove the stopper.

Last edited:
The stopper "plug" may be like mine; it has a left-handed thread to unscrew it from the stem so a clockwise turn loosens it.

that will only take off the cap. It would not allow a snake to fit.

but yes the caps are usually reverse threads.

So you have to just dissassemble the open/close mechanism to get the stopper out? Who decided that was a good idea?

So you have to just dissassemble the open/close mechanism to get the stopper out? Who decided that was a good idea?

It's to make it vandal/homeowner proof. On most pop up assemblies if you put the rod back before you put the stopper in it will still open and close but you will be able to remove the stopper. Look at figure 10B on this. It shows both ways.

Thanks for the replies guys.

On most pop up assemblies if you put the rod back before you put the stopper in it will still open and close but you will be able to remove the stopper.
That's what I was hoping to hear.

On the newer faucets there's a cable that goes from the stopper pull to the tailpiece underneath(pc. from bottom of sink to the first part of the p-trap) and most are not removable without taking the p-trap off:2:

Ah..Billspad knows my trick:D
Some drains are notched at the captive loop and a twist removes them.
Unfortunately you don't know till you take the lever off...then it doesn't matter.

On the newer faucets there's a cable that goes from the stopper pull to the tailpiece underneath(pc. from bottom of sink to the first part of the p-trap) and most are not removable without taking the p-trap off:2:

Should be easy to tell by looking what type he has.

I just installed two identical Moens yesterday in upstairs baths that both had the linkage type with the captive ball. Several months ago I installed an American Standard in a different bath that had the flexible cable.

New sink is an American Standard with the cable. Replacement in old sink is a Kohler, with 'hard' linkage.

Check out page 6 in this.

Back