please brief me on Estes ready to launch sets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I've been doing this a long time but I've never bought a launch set or anything ready to launch. When I was a kid I bought normal rocket kits or scratch built everything, and built my own launch pad and launch controller. My wife had the idea to buy a launch set for one of our relatives who has a daughter about the age to watch rockets.
I looked at a few boxes at Hobby Lobby and saw that some sets include engines, others don't. I'm in favor of a slightly larger rocket, maybe BT50 to keep it a little bit lower and easier to find. I see that the sets all include the Electron Beam launch controller. How well does this work on AA batteries?

I've been doing this a long time but I've never bought a launch set or anything ready to launch. When I was a kid I bought normal rocket kits or scratch built everything, and built my own launch pad and launch controller. My wife had the idea to buy a launch set for one of our relatives who has a daughter about the age to watch rockets.
I looked at a few boxes at Hobby Lobby and saw that some sets include engines, others don't. I'm in favor of a slightly larger rocket, maybe BT50 to keep it a little bit lower and easier to find. I see that the sets all include the Electron Beam launch controller. How well does this work on AA batteries?
The Electron Beam controller is ok for what it is, the design is safe and inexpensive, but it has one and a half flaws if you will - fresh alkaline batteries are critical - old batteries are a launch killer - and when launching you must hold the button down until the motor starts. It’s strictly a mechanical device, using copper contact strips and an incandescent light bulb as a “resistor” so you can check continuity without sending enough juice through the starter/igniter to activate it - nothing electronic or digital involved. Holding the button down is a must!

As far as the starter sets go it’s tough to beat the #1469 Tandem-X set - the E2X Amazon is relatively big (and a bit heavy) so you get low and slow launches plus if you use CA adhesive you could easily build it in less than an hour while the Crossfire ISX is traditional balsa fin and paper tube construction but still pretty easy to build - the pre-slotted body tube makes fin alignment fairly simple. That set plus a pack of B6-4s would be a great introduction to model rocketry.

The electron beam controller (the red one) works just fine. I've been using mine for many months now without issue. Granted, I've been using them with both lithium primaries (Energizer) and rechargeables (Tenavolt), though.

The Electron Beam controller is ok for what it is, the design is safe and inexpensive, but it has one and a half flaws if you will - fresh alkaline batteries are critical - old batteries are a launch killer
So a DIY person could hack one to use a car battery... (might kill the continuity function though).

I will second tandem x, as it comes with 2 rockets, one basically RTF and other a straightforward build.

It’s enough to get started and see if the hobby is your cup of tea, before committing too much time and money.

Biggest risk is poking your eye out bending over the launch rod. I think most people lose the cap pretty quickly. So be careful there.

Back