playing with my ebay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlnel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, i want to do my l2 sometime soon and sitting around deciding on what to build.

Still not sure but i started playing with the electronics stuff and had a pre made one and a pair of stratologgers so this is what i have, looks good i think...

The bulkheads were for a 3" i think so i have to modify the ones for whatever rocket i end up going with.

Im still deciding on single or dual deploy, single with cable cutter or similar, a single alt or dual... its going to be a cert flight so i know i should keep simple but...

I have a question about the standoffs, they are small nylon ones i got from apogee, will they hold up to the loads from a j-k motor?? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for viewing!!

Attachments

• 20181101_174122.jpg
    20181101_174122.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20181101_174101.jpg
    20181101_174101.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 117
I got bored and drilled out a couple bulkheads, i want to redo them as i drilled slightly off center but good enough for a mockup.

Attachments

• 20181101_181930.jpg
    20181101_181930.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20181101_181915.jpg
    20181101_181915.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 67
I have a question about the standoffs, they are small nylon ones i got from apogee, will they hold up to the loads from a j-k motor?? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for viewing!!

I have used the same standoffs on the same altimeters on flights pushing past Mach 2 and 45 Gs and in one rocket it has 13 flights on it with 10 being over Mach flights. One flight had a partially failed recovery where the rocket hit hard packed dirt from 10,000' AGL on a 12" drogue at somewhere around 50-60 feet per second.

Bottom line for the flights up to 45Gs I know these standoffs are acceptable, how far past that you should use them I do not know but I am sure someone has data or a formula to figure it out.

Looks good. I'm digging the aluminum! I've used nylon standoffs on J,K flights to hold altimeters and trackers with no problems.

I know folks always harp on keeping cert flights simple but how simple is it to fix a zipper caused from a bad delay; or repair a fin can because your primary charge didn't separate your rocket correctly? Trusting delays has caused more damage to my fleet than anything else. If you think you are ready for dual deploy, then go for it. My first electronic based flight was my L1, first full redundant flight was my L2. It really is nothing to sweat. Just take your time, ground test and enjoy the ride.
Rather than modifying the bulkheads, use a larger rocket and make it so you can use that ebay in the coupler.

Thats kinda what i did with the bulkheads, ill post a pic tomorrow to show the before vs after..

Thanks for the positive reinforcement about the standoffs!!

Looks good. I'm digging the aluminum! I've used nylon standoffs on J,K flights to hold altimeters and trackers with no problems.

I know folks always harp on keeping cert flights simple but how simple is it to fix a zipper caused from a bad delay; or repair a fin can because your primary charge didn't separate your rocket correctly? Trusting delays has caused more damage to my fleet than anything else. If you think you are ready for dual deploy, then go for it. My first electronic based flight was my L1, first full redundant flight was my L2. It really is nothing to sweat. Just take your time, ground test and enjoy the ride.
Rather than modifying the bulkheads, use a larger rocket and make it so you can use that ebay in the coupler.

Agreed. If you are already used to DD, then just do it for your L2 flight. Not much difference between L1 and L2 rockets when it comes to electronics and deployments. Overbuilt pig rockets that go to measly altitudes with motor ejection for an "easy" certification are boring to me.

Back