Planning ahead on needing fin with fin tab repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I'm working on an rocket that has fin tabs that are glued onto the motor mount. I also have some larger "sheathing" for the lower portion of the fin. I am trying to decide if I should fillet at the joint between the fin and the "sheathing" or not. It seems to me that filleting it isn't really needed for strength at this point, but more for looks and drag reduction. BUT I can see where they would also make it a lot harder to cut away the sheathing and get the fin out somehow if I were to need to.

On that note, how to remove the fin tab if it were ever necessary?
Here is what I am talking about: the gap between the fin and sheathing next to the red Bondo putty.

DSC02981.JPG

Better view of the "sheathing" around the base of the fin:

DSC02950.JPG

View of the motor mount and tabs:
DSC02978.JPG

Well that is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of. The issue there would be the glued-on engine retainer. :(

I snapped a fin off of a Fat Boy (TTW fin tabs). What I did to fix it was to cut the remaining bits of fin off and sand flush with body. I then cut a slot next to the fin and glued the new fin into place. It's now glued against the motor mount and body tube like the original fins, but it's also glued to the tab of the old fin. The joint is very strong (the fin might snap off again, but this joint won't fail!).

fbfin.jpg

Back