Pet Peeves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two hobbies, cars and rocketry.

I own two Camaros, a 2013 ZL1, by baby, and a 2015 daily driver.
The ZL1 will never ever be left in any parking lot, because people doing their daily business don't see any cars parked next to them as being special to their owner. I get that, so I will never leave her unattended, anywhere.
My dd however, is just that. I take very good care of her too, but I'd never inconvenience another person by taking up more than one parking space when I park her. I do park as far away from other cars as I can, but from there on, whatever happens, happens.

That's because a class in Empathy and Compassion can't exist. Not that those things can't be taught, but they are taught only by example, not by classroom imstruction. The entire K through 12 experience should teach empathy and compassion. But then, so should all of childhood starting from day one.

Pet peeve: people who expect school to raise their kids. I've sometimes said, "Every child is home schooled; what are you teaching yours?"

There are plenty of pet peeves lists but I haven’t seen this one.

This is happening all too often these days, so it has made it to the top of my pet peeves list.

You’re sitting at a red light, the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn’t move. If the driver is tall enough, you can sometimes see that they are looking downward – AT THEIR PHONE! No doubt, texting away. I lay on the horn, my wife gets upset with me making it even more disturbing. Am I wrong?
No, but I always give them a couple seconds and then a short toot on the horn. If that doesn't work then a big toot.

educational systems around the world that fail to have mandatory classes 1-12 grades on Empathy and Compassion
That's because a class in Empathy and Compassion can't exist. Not that those things can't be taught, but they are taught only by example, not by classroom imstruction. The entire K through 12 experience should teach empathy and compassion. But then, so should all of childhood starting from day one.

Pet peeve: people who expect school to raise their kids. I've sometimes said, "Every child is home schooled; what are you teaching yours?"
I had a science teacher in the 8th grade who always dismissed the class with a reminder to “be good to each other.” She had a really unique, memorable teaching style too.

I actually paid her a visit a few years ago, thanking her for the work she did and having the foresight to help us understand this. She was delighted that I had remembered the stuff from her class I got a really beautiful handwritten card back from her.

Every teacher wants to know that what they do matters. The profession is often thankless and under-appreciated, poorly understood, and undermined by other teachers who have no business teaching.

We have been taught for the past 40+ years not to make "Jackrabbit starts" at traffic lights.
We are now at the point where many people pull away from a green light so slowly that the second car in line can't get through the intersection before it turns yellow.

And that doesn't include the idjits that just set their staring at their "Smart phones".

I can remember driving and motorcycling through Portland on my trips up to Everett Washington.
Portland was an amazing city but that was twenty+ years ago and I guess things have changed for the worse in the ensuing decades.
I lived there in the late 90's. It's been California'ed pretty hard since then.

The posted speed limit means maximum speed. Not 5 over not even 1 over. I will drive in the maximum speed lane ( left) and drive the exact speed limit. Live with it, law breakers.

I'm sure I gave this guy the one finger wave before but if he's driving on the highway within the city limits he's a 100% legal smoe like lil joe. While it may be rude, it is legal here in Kansas.

roofers who fail at picking up the nails that end up on the ground.
That was my first job outside of fast food or retail. Clean the grounds until it looked better than when we got there. Then tearoff crew, then eventually they let me run a gun. Summers in Nevada were a strong motivator to finish college.

Air bubbles in my fillets, argh! Seems they are happening more often lately and the only thing different I’ve been doing is using two-part expanding foam to encapsulate the fin roots.

Ebay snipers.
I've lost four auctions in the past three days.
In the last ten seconds.
I think to the same person each time.
Their (low) feedback score is unchanged. :mad:
I think there's software out there that will automatically send in your final bid in the last few seconds. Possibly s/he's using that.

Ebay snipers.
I've lost four auctions in the past three days.
In the last ten seconds.
I think to the same person each time.
Their (low) feedback score is unchanged. :mad:

I’ve been sniped plenty of times on Ebay, then I decided if I wanted the item, that I had to start sniping too.

Air bubbles in my fillets, argh! Seems they are happening more often lately and the only thing different I’ve been doing is using two-part expanding foam to encapsulate the fin roots.

I've found that hitting the fillets (once smoothed) with a heat gun on low setting for 10-15 seconds tends to bring any bubbles to the surface. This does make the epoxy less viscous (hence helps release the bubbles), but is pretty manageable for Aeropoxy and even 5 min BS epoxy if you work QUICKLY. As

If the problem really does stem from the foam, maybe "seal" the fin to the body tube with a quick thin coat of epoxy that fills any tube-fin gap, and then come back with the fillet once the root seal is set. If it still happens then you can be pretty sure it is something other than the foam.

As with all (unsolicited) advice, YMMV.

Dr Phil ...... Every time I walk through the room and see my wife watching that arrogant POS that takes advantage of demented people, so that he can have his car collection and million-dollar mansion, exploiting people with screwed up lives, and he never cures any of them, I lose love for her.

Back