Personal Launch Report - MDARS 2023-10-28

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
06:00 the alarm went off. I shut if off, looked at Penny (our, well my now) 20+ year old cat, rolled over went back to bed. I’ll damned if the cat, who is pretty unsteady, did not meow for 5 minutes straight. I knew… I dressed, made sure she had plenty of dry food and water, gathered up the camera and hit the road. Damn cat…

08:45 I stopped at the usual spot on Forrest Rd north of North Edwards CA. Pulled out my stuff. And got to it

I loaded the Deuces 29 with two G54s cut to 7 seconds and a JL Chute Release set for 400ft (120m). Button pressed, both motors lit, lifted up slightly and sat burning AP. Seconds later. Plop out came the chute. I have no idea why it hung on the rail. There was 50 bucks of AP up in smoke. Really short walk to recover. :)

https://flic.kr/p/2pcm6ag]

https://flic.kr/p/2pco1r2]

The Mojave Mortar, a scratch built using an ACME 54mm fin can, was loaded with a H143 cut to -8 seconds. Simple apogee deploy. Great flight… Eight seconds was a little long. But it was a fine recovery. The Altimeter One (A1) read out 1626’ (495m)

MDARS-20231028 (179 of 191).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

MDARS-20231028 (134 of 191).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

MDARS-20231028 (48 of 501).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

MDARS-20231028 (129 of 191).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

My DynaStar (Apogee) AeroDactyl had a F15 to a F15-6. Apogee deploy. Flight was lower than expected. It did not go exactly vertical. But it deployed and the A1 read out 783’ (240m). The picture shows the violent staging. Could be been a cato. Not sure. But certainly a lot of booster propellant was wasted.

MDARS-20231028 (16 of 501).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

MDARS-20231028 (159 of 191).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

MDARS-20231028 (14 of 501).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

Well shoot… no pun intended. I grabbed my new Aerotech Astrobee-D. I got two for when I bought this one off eBay. There were two Astrobee-D kits in one box. I don’t know if the seller knew that. The one mod I made is it has an anti-zipper coupler. So it comes apart in the middle. Loaded for its first flight with a G76-7. Perfect flight to 886’ (270m). I was a happy camper again.

MDARS-20231028 (137 of 191).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

MDARS-20231028 (64 of 501).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

Glad you came out. Yeah, you had a couple of bummer flights, but you had some that were great. As usual, you take great photos.
I feel for the guy who's tracker failed, pretty sure we'll find it...eventually!

So that was the morning. There are some other pictures in the album here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB1iUh
All in all some good. A few not as good. I was really bummed about the Deuces. Then I came home and wept. Because again, there is no one here to tell how it went. And never will be. :( I miss you Kim.

MDARS-20231028 (2 of 4).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

There are some here that appreciate your reports, including myself. I know it's not the same, but I'm looking at your picture and seeing a smile... :)

Awesome pictures.
Okay Jeff I gotta know, how I can get one of those T-shirts.
Hmmm... one way or another... that should be doable. I can ask the Prefect, or simply buy one next time and ship it. I think they are 15 or 20 bucks. Plus shipping. But helll I take store credit... cept I am sort of broke. As in near BK. :(

But happy to just buy one for you. Let me know via PM the size and address! Love your designs!!!

Back