PemTech Screamin' Meanie Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure when I order this... sometime before April 19th 2023... That is sort of a seminole date in my life. But I did.
Yesterday... while painting the Flying Lance and the Mega Mosquito my mind turned to "What next?" I have 100s to choose from. But I chose the Mimi.

So here is the obligatory parts image
Screaming-Mimi-00006.JPG

Screaming-Mimi-Parts.JPG

Unless I am severely brain dead, which again, given where I am in life COULD be true, the instructions (which @Pem Tech likes to call destructions) never actually tell you to build the motor mount. No matter I sort of figured it out. But the instruction mention on the first page "If you are new..." Well if you are new, you may not know what to do with that D12 sized tube and round black things.

No matter - I decided that D12 and 24/40 loads would be just fine for my Meanie so I put in an engine block and a hook. And I trapped the kevlar behind the FWD ring.
Screaming-Mimi-00003.JPG

Screaming-Mimi-00001.JPG

Last edited:
Then I used Fill n Finish in the grooves of the 220 sanded tube and rings. Once dried... more 220 grit to get rid of the excess.
Screaming-Mimi-00005.JPG

I cut out the fin guides. But they made no sense. Way too big... I used some other marking guides for the 3 fin lines and 2 ring lins.

So I sanded the papered fins along the CA'd edges and then put on the rings with wood glue
Screaming-Meanie-00124.JPG
Screaming-Meanie-00125.JPG

Then place the fins on. I used a pin to poke holes in the root edge balsa and randomly a mm or 2 from the root on either side. Something for both the double glue joint, and the fillets to maybe grab into.
Screaming-Meanie-00122.JPG

Screaming-Meanie-00121.JPG

Attachments

• Screaming-Meanie-00123.JPG
    Screaming-Meanie-00123.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Looking good. I remember looking at this rocket at some point but for some reason I thought it was much smaller so I didn't give it a ton of thought. Seeing this build makes me wish I had bought one.

Unless I am severely brain dead, which again, given where I am in life COULD be true, the instructions (which @Pem Tech likes to call destructions) never actually tell you to build the motor mount. No matter I sort of figured it out. But the instruction mention on the first page "If you are new..." Well if you are new, you may not know what to do with that D12 sized tube and round black things.

No matter - I decided that D12 and 24/40 loads would be just fine for my Meanie so I put in an engine block and a hook. And I trapped the kevlar behind the FWD ring.
View attachment 613779

View attachment 613780
Whew! You had be concerned there for a few minutes, I have been known to do crazy, whacked out, unsavory and questionable things.
But on page 9 of the Destructions there is a bit about building a MM:

10) Scrounge up the motor mount tube [MM] and centering rings [CR]. Pick a centering ring [CR], any centering ring, and put a small notch in the outside edge as seen in (Figure- 14). The notch will allow the Kevlar shock cord (yellow cord) to be tied to the middle of the MM tube and be threaded up through the body tube [BT]. The centering ring [CR] with the notch will now and forever be your fore centering ring [CR], the one that will be closest to the nose of the rocket. The other centering ring [CR], now the aft CR, will be much relieved to learn it won’t be the victim of any cutting.
11) Measure and mark a line 7/8” from one end (now the aft or tail end so mark it as such) of the motor mount tube [MM], and 1” from the opposite end (now the fore or front end so mark it as such). Run a small bead of glue around each of the lines you just made and slide the fore centering ring [CR], the one with the notch, on to the fore end of the motor mount tube [MM] to the line you just made. Slide the aft centering ring [CR] on to the aft end of the motor mount tube [MM] to the line you just made. Keep the centering rings [CR] as close to 90 degrees to the motor mount tube as possible until the glue dries. (Figure- 15)

If your Destruction manual does not have this bit we will be very happy to ship you the missing text.

I cut out the fin guides. But they made no sense. Way too big... I used some other marking guides for the 3 fin lines and 2 ring lins.
It is entirely possible you got a King Kraken wrap by mistake. It has happened before...
Out deepest apologies, we will sacrifice a packing gnome this evening and roast it over an open fire. Them is good eatin'.

Whew! You had be concerned there for a few minutes, I have been known to do crazy, whacked out, unsavory and questionable things.
But on page 9 of the Destructions there is a bit about building a MM:

10) Scrounge up the motor mount tube [MM] and centering rings [CR]. Pick a centering ring [CR], any centering ring, and put a small notch in the outside edge as seen in (Figure- 14). The notch will allow the Kevlar shock cord (yellow cord) to be tied to the middle of the MM tube and be threaded up through the body tube [BT]. The centering ring [CR] with the notch will now and forever be your fore centering ring [CR], the one that will be closest to the nose of the rocket. The other centering ring [CR], now the aft CR, will be much relieved to learn it won’t be the victim of any cutting.
11) Measure and mark a line 7/8” from one end (now the aft or tail end so mark it as such) of the motor mount tube [MM], and 1” from the opposite end (now the fore or front end so mark it as such). Run a small bead of glue around each of the lines you just made and slide the fore centering ring [CR], the one with the notch, on to the fore end of the motor mount tube [MM] to the line you just made. Slide the aft centering ring [CR] on to the aft end of the motor mount tube [MM] to the line you just made. Keep the centering rings [CR] as close to 90 degrees to the motor mount tube as possible until the glue dries. (Figure- 15)

If your Destruction manual does not have this bit we will be very happy to ship you the missing text.

LOL! I never noticed. My Destruction Manual is a little wonky. As you can see, the page after page 6 is page 13.

I can not imaging what must be on those missing pages, other than the afore mentioned Motor Mount, but since the MM is installed, and the kevlar around the forward CR, and clip installed, and all the rings and fins on, I am not sure what else... :)

IMG_3670.JPG

LOL! I never noticed. My Destruction Manual is a little wonky. As you can see, the page after page 6 is page 13.

I can not imaging what must be on those missing pages, other than the afore mentioned Motor Mount, but since the MM is installed, and the kevlar around the forward CR, and clip installed, and all the rings and fins on, I am not sure what else... :)

View attachment 614566

There is no telling what, why or when it happened. Just glad the build came out well.

Back