Pem-Tech Down for a few days due to llama related accident

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prognosis is good, though for 20, taking off of shoes may still have to occur. :D

Trudy
PemTech's Art Department, who'd better run when he reads this :)

:confused2: I don't know where you're from, but counting with friends fingers and toes isn't illegal around here unless you cut them off first!

Besides, he's an engineer. Don't they all use calcualtors and then just guestimate anyway

>>>===:duck:===>
Trudy
PemTech's Art Department and aid in counting to numbers highter than 20

Either way, it sounds like you've got his number. Or does he have yours? Who's got whose numbers?

MarkII ("Mama's got a squeeze box, and...")

Last edited:
Well, I think it's safe to say we have each other's digits :)
Trudy
PemTech's Art Department and digit holder

Official Update.
I finally managed to escape the hospital on the 24th and sneak home.
Ahhhhhhhhhh
*No place like home*
Went back to work last week for a couple of days.
Uhhhhhhhhhh
*Any place but work*

The Bad news is:
Until August 18th I have to self administer IV antibiotics twice a day to kill off whatever organism was growing in my hand.

The Good News is:
The Orthopedic surgeon gave me a thumbs up on Thursday and the incision is finally starting to close. While I still may feel pretty bad, I am vertical.

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes and prayers!
And thanks to my Trudy for being there, whenever I needed her.

Now, to get those back orders shipped.

P.S.
PLease, no one needs to feel that they should send me any pictures of Llamas. After the one that came via email this morning the dog won't come out from under the bed and I think I'll have to burn the pants

But Mark, it was horrible...
Ears and hair and those big eyes that scream for your blood.
*sob*

Anyway, here is the picture that some unnamed party bob cox sent to me this morning and triggered my PTSLD.
:shock::eyepop::y::jaw:

P1060051r%20Llama1.jpg

SUre, they look cute, but don't you ever believe it.

But Mark, it was horrible...
Ears and hair and those big eyes that scream for your blood.
*sob*

Anyway, here is the picture that some unnamed party bob cox sent to me this morning and triggered my PTSLD.
:shock::eyepop::y::jaw:

P1060051r%20Llama1.jpg

SUre, they look cute, but don't you ever believe it.

Watch out! They spit! :y::D OL JR :)

So it's been a while since I've been on TRF, and the one lingering question after going through this thread is:

When are you going to start using leeches as part of the treatment?

I want pictures because it's not a historically accurate medieval healing re-enactment without lots of leeches attached to Lane!!!

I went to Purina and found that they have a special line for exotics called Mazuri.

This might help: https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=1&Opening=2

It doesn't say whether this applies to carnivorous members of the breed though.

EDIT because of wrong link:

The link does not go to the PDF so I uploaded it after reading again.

I did not find Laynes, Pembertons or any combination thereof on the recommended ingredient list.

Its clear you were trying to promote an unhealthy diet in that poor beast.

View attachment Llama%20Feeding%20Recommendations.pdf

Last edited:
I went to Purina and found that they have a special line for exotics called Mazuri.

This might help: https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=1&Opening=2
<edit>
Its clear you were trying to promote an unhealthy diet in that poor beast.

Ah-ha!! Upon examining the resource you so kindly provided, I see we were the victim of bad advice on llama needs. Clearly "high fiber" and "chews" are featured prominently in their diet and, lacking these, our dear (delicious*) departed sought to remedy this by munching upon Layne.

I also noted "DO NOT FEED TO SHEEP due to levels of copper. Diets are designed to complement forages containing 4 to 15 ppm Cu. 2" Clearly his diet was lacking sufficent copper, and thus he sought my darling man's blood. This then had nothing to do with fangs he was sporting that Layne was attempting to file down, nor the llama's recent loving of shade, avoidance of direct sunlight.

Trudy
PemTech immoral support
*who is vegetarian and who wouldn't really harm a pet

Ah-ha!! Upon examining the resource you so kindly provided, I see we were the victim of bad advice on llama needs. Clearly "high fiber" and "chews" are featured prominently in their diet and, lacking these, our dear (delicious*) departed sought to remedy this by munching upon Layne.

I also noted "DO NOT FEED TO SHEEP due to levels of copper. Diets are designed to complement forages containing 4 to 15 ppm Cu. 2" Clearly his diet was lacking sufficent copper, and thus he sought my darling man's blood. This then had nothing to do with fangs he was sporting that Layne was attempting to file down, nor the llama's recent loving of shade, avoidance of direct sunlight.

Trudy
PemTech immoral support
*who is vegetarian and who wouldn't really harm a pet

Copper toxicity is a serious problem in sheep... you have to be careful. I bet llamas are similar in their susceptibility to copper, so that's probably not the reason he bit Layne.

On the other hand, given the drought conditions in certain parts of the country (including mine unfortunately) there can be dietary problems in livestock that result in rather, well, UNUSUAL behaviors being observed in animals craving minerals and other nutrients that are lacking in their normal diet.

For instance, Texas A&M did a study a number of years ago on pastured cattle, on a ranch with soils that were unusually poor in phosphorus mineral, which created a phosphorus deficiency in the grass the cattle ate. They decided to see just how far this problem could be driven and then study methods to rectify the situation, so they sprayed the pasture with a chemical which COMPLETELY locked up the available soil phosphorus for a period of time, rendering the available phosphorus in the soil and the grass growing on it completely unavailable to be metabolised in the cattle's diet. The cattle got poor (sickly) and strange behaviors were noted-- eating dirt and gnawing on posts, attempting to satisfy their craving for ANY food that could provide the missing phosphate. The study continued and soon the veterinarians started noticing a disturbing trend-- dead mangled field rabbits scattered around the pasture in various places. Confused by this, the vets started watching the cattle more closely between study visits, and soon determined the reason-- the phosphate-starved cows, those lovable sweet bovines we see in ice cream and milk commercials happily practicing perfect vegetarianism, were SO desperate for foods with available phosphate that when they'd see a wild rabbit in the field, they'd rapidly run over and stomp on it and kill it, and eat what they could of it using their toothless upper palate and front lower grass-nipping teeth, terribly mangling it in the process... the cows had turned carnivorous!

SO, perhaps the llama in question is merely experiencing some form of dietary insufficiency and was seeking to rectify it, and figured Layne had more available phosphorus than the average field rabbit... questionable, but the average llama isn't exactly PhD material...

Later! OL JR :)

PS. TRUE STORY!

JR, that post is a great example of why I enjoy reading your posts so much. Fascinating information, just a *little* bit off the wall.

Just a little bit.

But I'm an engineer and curious about everything, so that was good stuff. Keep it up!

Also, Layne, I'm glad you're home and vertical, if not totally healed just yet.

JR, that post is a great example of why I enjoy reading your posts so much. Fascinating information, just a *little* bit off the wall.

Just a little bit.

But I'm an engineer and curious about everything, so that was good stuff. Keep it up!

Also, Layne, I'm glad you're home and vertical, if not totally healed just yet.

If you'd like, John, I can probably find and post a link to a pamplet printed by Texas A&M from a study they did on "How to determine the protien nutrition levels of available forages by means of visual inspection of cow manure".

It's actually a pretty interesting read... the runnier the manure the higher the protien, and the more 'rings' on the side of the cowflop and the stiffer and taller the turd the lower the protien (and usually the digestibility).

True story-- I was reading that paper one day here at the computer and my wife came by and stopped, backed up, and started reading over my shoulder. I was almost through and scrolled down to the last paragraph past a couple pictures of cow flops and a chart showing protien levels crossreferenced to the aforementioned cow pie pics in the text above. She said, "WHAAAATT are you reading????" I explained it to her and she looked rather dubious, so I said, "well, here, YOU read it" and she scanned through the text and photos fairly quickly and said, "kinda interesting, but really... talk about a weird job! I can see this guy on a date-- his lady says, "so what do you do for a living?" and he says, "oh, I correlate protien levels in pasture grass to the visual appearance of cowpies". DATE OVER!"

Funny thing is, when we went on our evening walks through the pasture, I noticed she started looking at cowpies as we went along and commenting on the protien levels in our grass, because she was a bit bored and didn't really realize she was doing it, til I pointed out she was doing it and commented on it, to her chagrin... :D

I can see this guy on a date-- his lady says, "so what do you do for a living?" and he says, "oh, I correlate protien levels in pasture grass to the visual appearance of cowpies". DATE OVER!"

Not funny.

After I left A&M, I was working on another batchelor's and worked under a parasitologist. I spent way too much time with my right arm in a rubber glove way up the backside of cows and scimitar horned oryxes "grabbing" samples to test out Ivermectin.

About this time, I finally talked R.K. into going out with me. She said she wanted to see what I was doing for Dr. C and I took her out there. :jaw:

:eyepop:

:eek:

Date over indeed. :confused2:

Thanks for helping me relive the memories! :dark:

(;))

If you'd like, John, I can probably find and post a link to a pamplet printed by Texas A&M from a study they did on "How to determine the protien nutrition levels of available forages by means of visual inspection of cow manure".
Anything in that pamphlet about performing sniff tests? :eek:

Funny thing is, when we went on our evening walks through the pasture, I noticed she started looking at cowpies as we went along and commenting on the protien levels in our grass, because she was a bit bored and didn't really realize she was doing it, til I pointed out she was doing it and commented on it, to her chagrin... :D

I see the potential for a new offbeat Hollywood romantic comedy here... The story of a man, a woman, and a meadow muffin: "You've Got Poo."

MarkII

o_O :eyepop:

wow, just wow. The direction this posting has taken.
Y'all doing my expectations proud! (sniff!) :D

Update on his hand is that it is nicely scabbed over and starting to heal. Should leave a pretty decent scar. Layne isn't doing well, having ignored doctor's orders about eating yogurt to keep up the helpful intestinal flora needed to digest food. He's headed to dr or pharmacy to get needed meds today, and hopefully will feel better tomorrow. Though I plan on pestering him mercilessly to eat his bacteria daily, as mild periodic pestering didn't work. ;)

Trudy
PemTech art department and unrepentant nag regarding keeping loved ones healthy

Trudy, threaten him with the Drantakhs:

https://regimentgames.com/

if he won't eat his yoghurt - he's got the HMS Smith to build!

But seriously - couldn't you get him some Yakult, or whatever the probiotic daily drinking yoghurt is in the US? Hope Layne is OK soon!
Grif

After I left A&M, I was working on another batchelor's and worked under a parasitologist. I spent way too much time with my right arm in a rubber glove way up the backside of cows and scimitar horned oryxes "grabbing" samples to test out Ivermectin.

Reminds me of a joke I once heard.

What do you call an Amish man with his arm in a horse's [backside-- Mod edit]?

A mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that "the hand" is healing. Those finger-thingies come in handy. (Yes, a very bad pun)
Reminds of the line from the movie "Evil Roy Slade" where Mickey Rooney (looking at a pinup picture of Evil Roy's gf) taps his own missing digits and says "kind of makes you wish you had all your fingers"

I want to go back to the Peruvian Fighting Llamas and hear some more. Is there good money in them? (How do you keep them fenced?) Are there a lot of arenas in your area, or do you have to trailer them very far to get to a venue?

Reason I ask is I tried the Texas Racing Rattlesnakes, but that did not pay off very well.

Good news Trudy. Thanks for the update. Sounds like Layne and I have a lot in common. I don't like doctors, dentist, or follow their directions either. Fortunately for me the misses is a nurse who takes very good care of me when I'm a bad patient. Give my best to Layne.

Marty

Neither did the Adirondack Raccoon Rodeo... :rolleyes:

MarkII

Let's not even talk about the Great Possum Plague of 05'

But seriously, you are a great bunch of folks and we appreciate all your support, good will and prayers.
Thanks, to all of you...

Tomorrow is my last appointment with the Infectious Disease doc and he is supposed to release me to full duty.

:w:

Tomorrow is my last appointment with the Infectious Disease doc and he is supposed to release me to full duty.

:w:

Are you going to be released on your own recognizance or into the custody of another party.

OMG!

Evil Roy Slade! I love that movie. You are the first person I've ever heard reference it. To this day I still use the line, "I've got something on my mind and it hurts my head."

"Roy, one of the horses threw a shoe comin' back from that hold up."
"I'll get the blacksmith right on it. Smith!"
"Yeah, I know, shoe da horse."

"I've got queens and 10's."
I've got 3's and a gun."
"You win again, Roy!"

Back