Pealing Decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarsonsChaos

Reaction score
I haven't built anything in a few years.
I went out and break out some of my old rockets and the decals are pealing off most of them.
I've read many threads and an still not sure of the best way to stop this on future builds.
The decals were placed on glossy paint, and most were cleared with either spray paint of future.
The stickers are the vinyl or plastic type.
Whats the best process.
I've thought of placing stickers last with nothing covering them or even removing the adhesive some how and gluing them with something else????
I'd do without decals but they add allot to some rockets.

I haven't built anything in a few years.
I went out and break out some of my old rockets and the decals are pealing off most of them.
I've read many threads and an still not sure of the best way to stop this on future builds.
The decals were placed on glossy paint, and most were cleared with either spray paint of future.
The stickers are the vinyl or plastic type.
Whats the best process.
I've thought of placing stickers last with nothing covering them or even removing the adhesive some how and gluing them with something else????
I'd do without decals but they add allot to some rockets.

First Welcome to the forum:
If your decals are all sticker type then a few drops of CA carefully wicked under the raised area will help smooth them back down for awhile. but know this all vinyls shrink over time and with exposure to heat and UV. some more than others but they all MOVE after application. If you clear coated over vinyl stickers you'll have slight gap to deal with as well.
If your Decals are waterslide silkscreened commerical type they certainly should not have peeled or rolled up. If this is the case you have some other problem going. Were these models stored in an un controlled temp garage or attic? If so your problem is more then likely the sparycan clear coat. I'd like to tell you you can save it with some little quick trick like a bit of CA but I can't if they were waterslide decals. I'm afraid your gonna need to replace the decals or at least overlay a set of new decals after lightly rubbing off the flaking material. Do not re-clear coat over your decals. you mentioned future floor polish, go with that.
Hope this helps a little.

I know, This subject has been beat to death.
These decals weren't the water slides, they were peal and stick.
The rockets were sitting on a shelf in the garage without any heating or cooling.
I won't clear over that type of decal anymore.
I assume it's just not doable for the long term.
Will the decals last if they are placed on last? Or will they peal anyway??
Maybe I'll do without decals all together, although some need the decals to get the look I want.
From now on I plan on painting with either AutoAir or Createx with an airbrush.
I'm still in the air about future vs spray can clear to gloss it up.
I have the equipment to spray Auto Cat. clear but it seems over kill for a LPR.
Can you polish Future??
Anymore thoughts?

Back