Payload bay vent hole

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcanroc

Custom title
Reaction score
I plan on trying and complete a Cert 1 flight this Saturday with a PML Spitfire modified with a avbay coupler and a payload section. My question is:

Do I need to drill a vent hole in a empty payload section to allow for the atmospheric pressure change during the flight. The nose cone on top of the payload section is incredibly tight. I'm just trying to eliminate any "shnags" that might be a concern for my Cert 1 attempt.

Geoff

How high is it going?

If you hold It by the nose and shake vigorously without the body slipping off, its probably fine.

That being said, I'd highly recommend some for of positive retention for the nose. I'd more worry about it coming off during ejection yank than pressure rise during ascent.
Something like removable rivets, a screw, even a line of electrical tape around the joint would be something positive

If it's very tight, you're probally ok. Can't hurt to add a little tape to hold on it, though.

As stated by others, altitude has a lot to do with it. You probably don't need anything. If you think you do need it, your choices are: tape, rivets, screws, or a hole. Which is easiest?

When you say it’s incredibly tight, 1200ft wont be an issue with the pressure change but are you confident the charges are going to eject it? Have you done any charge testing?

Geoff,

We can put a wrap of tape on the NC for extra security, or I can give you some plastic rivets. I always carry a drill in my launch box, so that would be an easy on-field modification if you want to do it.

But I’m sure you will be fine. I know you have done your homework. See you tomorrow. And good luck!

Brenton

Geoff,

We can put a wrap of tape on the NC for extra security, or I can give you some plastic rivets. I always carry a drill in my launch box, so that would be an easy on-field modification if you want to do it.

But I’m sure you will be fine. I know you have done your homework. See you tomorrow. And good luck!

Brenton

There’s a launch tomorrow?! Totally missed that. Ill try to be there!
—John—

I second, third, and fourth, nose needs to be pinned, screwed, or whatever you prefer to make sure it cant come off during flight. You dont want to eject the cone by accident nixing a cert effort.

When you say it’s incredibly tight, 1200ft wont be an issue with the pressure change but are you confident the charges are going to eject it? Have you done any charge testing?

@TheTank (and anyone else who was thinking about flying with us in Rhode Island tomorrow). I just wanted to make sure you saw that the launch tomorrow has been scrubbed. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be too windy. We are going to reschedule for 10/24.

Last edited:
@TheTank (and anyone else who were thinking about flying with us in Rhode Island tomorrow). I just wanted to make sure you saw that the launch tomorrow has been scrubbed. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be too windy. We are going to reschedule for 10/24.

Just saw that. All good. See you on the 24th!

If you have to use force to install the NC, then at only 1200' there isn't enough pressure change to worry about. That said, drill a 1/16" hole in it and ever have to worry about it at all.

Latest posts

Back